no power

Old 06-01-03, 10:01 AM
Question no power

I have written before I have a 1984 Caprice 305cid (vin H) 86,000 miles this car has no power it has been to two garages it has a 700R4 trans I was told it could be the trans. converter ever hear of the cover causing a problem like this?
Things done so far new carb., cam, timming chain and gears, tune up, new exhaust, tried another ECM. The car does run better when it is cold not great but better, it does get worse when warmed up when you step on the gas it seems like the exhaust is clogged but it's not when you when you let up on the throttle it seems to smooth out. This is a nice car I would like to get it fixed but so far just dumping money in it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-03, 10:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A couple of possibilities:

1) Vapor lock--make sure no fuel lines are near anything hot. If there is insulation on any fuel lines, make sure it's there.

2) Sounds like a carburetor problem. Who did the rebuild? What parts were changed?

3) How's the condition of the engine? Have good compression?

4) Exhaust been checked for restrictions? Use a backpressure gauge or a muffler shop can tell you.

5) Does the ignition check out? Ignition module could be breaking up when hot.

Old 06-01-03, 09:56 PM
no power

Thanks for your info. Joe F.
The fuel lines are neatly run like they were originally were
I bought the carburator from Advance auto
The engine has good compression
the converter has been emptied and the rest of the exhaust is new
I tried another ignition module
I have a Trans Am with a 305 also I tried some things off of it like the ignition module, coil, and the carburater.
I even took it for a drive with the exhaust unbolted
A dealership suggested I take it to a transmission shop saying that the torque converter could be bad is that possible?

Old 06-02-03, 03:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Doubt it, but it wouldn't hurt to have the tranny looked it.

Off the shelf rebuilts are trash for the most part, have someone competent rebuild the original one, going through it completely with all new parts.

It sure sounds like a carburetor problem. I too have Trans Ams, but there "ain't" no way I could swap a carburetor from one of them onto a Caprice, because they are Pontiac, not Chevy powered .

Old 06-03-03, 06:15 PM
jason1b
Visiting Guest
check your intake gasket

Old 06-03-03, 10:13 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
jason1b:

Please explain how a leaking intake gasket would cause a no power condition.

I've seen lots and lots of leaking intakes on this vintage small block Chevy engine. They typically cause excessive oil consumption, coolant leaks, oil leaks at the end seals, or vacuum leaks.

Let's assume that this intake has a vacuum leak. It would have to be a MASSIVE leak in order to cause a no-power condition. A leak that large would cause a very loud hissing sound as well as a horrible or non-existant idle.

Old 06-04-03, 02:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Knuckles.

Knuckles: The sound of the valves tapping on the 305 or the rotted exhaust AIR tubes would likely be louder than the intake noise

Old 06-07-03, 08:56 AM
intake ok

Everyone I talk to has a different idea of what is wrong with the car I now have the Y pipe off and of course the exhaust manifold bolts twisted off once I get the manifolds back I will go for a test drive I was told the Y pipe could have colapsed inside.

Old 06-07-03, 09:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure, everyone has a different idea, because

a) We're not at the machine and can't determine anything by sitting at a computer typing.

b) You haven't told us the basics: Good compression or not? Condition of engine, what real repairs have been done, etc, etc.

c) As mentioned, an exhaust shop can quickly point to an exhaust restriction with the proper equipment.

Old 06-07-03, 09:24 AM
Drive the car with the air cleaner lid removed see if this helps.Let us know.