Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

96 Cavalier radio resetting

CANADA

06-01-03, 04:04 PM   #1  
96 Cavalier radio resetting

Hi All:

I have a 2-door 2.2 L 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier. The problem is with the radio in the car. Each time I start my car, the radio seems to reset itself. I fix the time and set my preset buttons for my favorite stations, but the next time I start the car to go somewhere, everything is reset and I have to do this all over again( setting clock, setting favorite channel buttons ). The radio, once the stations are set, seems to work fine but I have to keep reprogramming every time I start the vehicle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ( I have checked the fuse !!). Thanks for reading this posting............... ssshep

Sponsored Links

06-01-03, 04:52 PM   #2  
I am willing to bet that by the time you read this, you will have already replaced your car battery. When the battery is low, it will sometimes barely start your car, but in doing so, the voltage in the battery briefly drops to a point below 12 volts that the radio 'forgets' its memory. When you see that happen, it's a sign that your battery is at the end of its life.

Visiting Guest

06-01-03, 05:05 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
Next time you have the radio set, turn the key on and dont start engine. Does radio keep settings then? Seen them keep memory off of a 9 volt battery plugged into cig lighter. You have some voltage going to clock and radio with key off.

Search this Thread