Jetta electrical problem

Old 06-01-03, 05:17 PM
Jetta electrical problem

I looked at a 95 Jetta for a friend today and am pretty well stumped as to what the problem could be. He claimed that the brake lights were always on. If the key is in the off position, the brake lights work properly, except that when you step on the pedal, the dash lights come on and the headlights/running lights come on too. With the key turned on, the brake lights are on all the time as are the running lights. If you pull the emergency brake a couple of clicks, the running lights go out but the brake lights stay on. I don't know what to look for next. Any help would be appreciated.

He is not the original owner and has no knowledge of an alarm that may have been connected to those circuits but I did notice a small annunciator under the dash near the electrical panel. I can't find any other alarm parts but am not sure if I would know one if I saw it.

I also do not have a wiring schematic to trace any further.

Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-03, 06:35 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Pretty much norm if the running lites go out when you engage parking brake.
Sounds like you are getting a reverse current/ground from someplace. I would check each and every fuse that you can find. If you find a bad one, replace it. Hopefully this is the problem. If not you will most certainly need some type of wire schematic.

Old 06-02-03, 03:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Inspect the stoplight switch as well.

Working on this without a wiring diagram is like trying to navigate the Nevada desert without a compass.