Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Side Draft Carburettors

AL

06-02-03, 04:56 AM   #1  
Side Draft Carburettors

I have an old '64 Datsun Bluebird (1200) with dual Hitachi SU style carbs. I know next to nothing about this type fuel system. I had to disassemble and soak them in carburator parts cleaner to remove old dried fuel residue. My question is how much and what weight oil should be added to the piston chamber?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-02-03, 06:04 AM   #2  
Joe_F
A good service manual should have this information. A Haynes or Chilton will do here in lieu of a Nissan one.

These carburetors are very, very pesky. A set of Webers will probably be a better choice if originality isn't a real concern.

Visiting Guest

06-02-03, 10:24 PM   #3  
knuckles
You can use ATF in the SU carbs.

Contrary to popular belief, these carbs are actually very simple and relatively efficient. Once you get 'em cleaned out & reassembled, you should get many years of reliable service out of 'em.

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 05:45 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Until they seize again . My friend had these on his Triumph. Nothing but problems .

Sounds like an original car, so you're stuck keeping it this way .

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 10:21 PM   #5  
knuckles
Your friend's problem wasn't the carbs...it was the fact that the CAR was built in England! LOL

06-04-03, 02:59 AM   #6  
I have seen side drafts function very reliably on dune buggyís in harsh conditions, I think itís a matter of getting them set up right the first time.

Visiting Guest

06-04-03, 02:15 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Knuckles:

Perhaps. He had a TR7 before he had this TR6. He's a glutton for punishment. LOL.

I'll take my stock Rochester Qudrajet thank you .

06-06-03, 03:01 AM   #8  
You cant go wrong with a Q-Jet, but a lot of people that donít know how to tune them hate them, its really the same deal, if you know how to tune and set up a Q-Jet you love it, but if you donít you hate it.

Visiting Guest

06-06-03, 03:39 AM   #9  
Joe_F
As Nunzi Romano used to say about the Q-jet in its heyday:

"Rochester doesn't have to advertise. They sell 5 million Q-jets a year".

Both Ford and Chrysler bought the Q-jet for various applications of theirs over the years .

Search this Thread