Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stalling '89 Olds 88

MO

06-03-03, 06:04 AM   #1  
Stalling '89 Olds 88

Those of you who have been with the forum a while will recognize this from previous posts of mine. My wife's '89 Olds 88, 3.8l v-6 EFI has started bucking under load and stalling again. There is what appears to be a slight miss at steady speed (cruise control set), but it REALLY screws up when it's warm and you really get on the throttle. When you open it up, it sounds like it backfires through the intake once or twice before it straightens out. Also, recently my wife drove it to a town about twenty highway miles away. She had no traffic control devices to deal with before she let off the throttle to pull into a parking space. When she did let the throttle close, the car stalled. It started and ran fine on the way home until she pulled off the highway, when the car stalled again. She said after about five minutes the car started again and got her the last three miles home without further incident.
The ECM has set no codes that I can pull from the ALDL/Check engine light combination. I recently opened up the clogged passage from the EGR valve adapter into the intake air stream, and have removed and cleaned with throttle body cleaner the MAF sensor more times than I can count. I'm to the point of starting to throw parts at it, starting with a new MAF sensor,but I know how foolish (and expensive) that can be. Joe, Davo, Stevo, anyone else - any ideas? Something I'm missing, or somewhere else to start looking? Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links

06-03-03, 07:10 AM   #2  
I see you cleaned the EGR lines, but better still, clamp off the EGR hose with a pair of hose clamp pliers. Then check to see if your idle problem goes away.

Secondly, although your symptoms don't adequately indicate a clogged cat, it would be very easy to test with a simple vacuum gauge.

Third, as a precaution, check to insure that your plug wires are properly routed away from other wires and sensors. This is more of a problem with copper core wires, just in case you know which you have. Intermittent problems caused by plug wire EMI are impossible to diagnose, so be sure route them safely.

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 08:31 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Have you tried to clean the mass air flow sensor?

MO

06-03-03, 03:18 PM   #4  
Joe - Yep, cleaned the MAF sensor numerous times using aerosol throttle body cleaner. If that's the first culprit that comes to mind, would replacing it be a wise course of action? BTW, this car has the EGR valve with three solenoids, each activating its own valve. The only "hose" is the metal supply tube from the exhaust crossover pipe to the EGR valve mounting adapter. I had not thought about the catalytic converter being clogged; I guess falling vacuum after start-up would indicate this? Thanks for the help - Chris

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 04:40 PM   #5  
Joe_F
The MAF can be sent out for testing through any auto part's store's reman. electronics provider BEFORE purchasing a new one to be sure it's bad.

Best way.

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 05:14 PM   #6  
jason1b
sound like a tps sensor but the best way to diagnose that would be to moniter your computer with a scanner,if you dont have one go to your local shop or dealer and just pay a diagnostic fee and get the problem then fix it yourself,my area diagnostic check is anywhere from $50.00 - $75.00 goodluck

Search this Thread