Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil on top of spark plugs

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 10:52 AM   #1  
anderson
oil on top of spark plugs

i have a 1990 honda civic ex. 1600 motor, multiport fuel injection, automatic. the car runs really rough, if it runs, so far we have tracked the problem to oil being pooled up on top of the spark plugs,a friend says that could only be caused by the valve cover seals being bad, is this the only cause for this problem? if it is what should i do?

Last edited by anderson; 06-03-03 at 11:43 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 10:58 AM   #2  
darrell McCoy
I'd be concerned about the valve cover leak/gasket first. As far as the rest, if it aint broke dont fix it.

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 11:48 AM   #3  
jcpike
changing the spark plugs on my 1992 accord, I noticed oil on top of 1 of the plugs.
How big/small of a job is it to replace the gasket(if thats what's the problem)
Cheers
John

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 11:51 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Not a big deal. Remove the valve cover, clean both surfaces and put a new gasket. Available from Felpro.

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 03:48 PM   #5  
jason1b
its not a big job but if you get oul on the spark plugs you dont need to replace the valve cover gasket itself,you will need to take the valve cover off and replace the valve cover gasket itself while doing the job,but with the valve cover gasket set will come oring looking seals,thats what needs to be replaced,if you have oil on the spark plugs you must have the type of engine where the spark plugs are in a hole in the valve cover and at the bottom of each hole should be a seperate seal which is givin with a valve cover gasket set,change those and clean or change your spark plugs and you will be all set

Search this Thread