Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Saving a 1989 Corsica

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 11:17 AM   #1  
Dalyah
Saving a 1989 Corsica

My 1989 Corsica LTZ has a broken stuck screw. The screw is used to attach the idle air control valve to the engine. My delimna is this I do not know the name of the part that the idle air control vavle is attached to (the screw is broken off in this part). I would like to order a replacement for this. The car has 170,000 miles and it runs well still, but in its present condition it does not run at all. I do not want to take it to the junkyard at this point but I cannot see spending a lot of money on a car this old. The engine is the 2.8 V6. Where can I find the name of this part.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

06-03-03, 11:32 AM   #2  
Just go to your local Chevy dealer and have them pull up a diagram on the computer. Point out the part and they should be able to name it for you.

Or hang out here for a little while and Joe Cool will come along and give you the correct nomenclature.

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 11:56 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Bolt--idle air control valve---attaching-kit? LOL. I dunno.

Anyone that knows how a GM parts book is laid out knows my ribbing here. LOL (It's always noun followed by function).

Go to any GM dealer as noted, and they will pull up the part # in a jiffy from the parts computer as TowGuy stated.

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 01:58 PM   #4  
Joe_F
And the answer is....

part of a throttle body bolt kit or included with various other kits such as the IAC kit and whatnot. Bolts not available separately.

HOWEVER, I would take one out and bring it to the GM dealer. Show it to a GOOD parts person and ask them to look in the standard parts catalog with all the hardware items. They can probably match it by dimension. If the IAC is wasted, you might want to change it and you'll get two new bolts with it. They are usually Torx.

I stress GOOD counterperson because the average ones don't even know that GM has such a hardware catalog which lists bolts and hardware that the vehicle parts catalogs sometimes leave out or don't give a part #.

Fortunately for me, on my Trans Ams, I have the factory assembly manual which shows every screw and nut on the car and the part #s. Often, when I've called the dealership, the #s shown in that book are still good, or the dealer is able to supersede the given # to current # .

Group Moderator

FL

06-04-03, 04:55 AM   #5  
I would have guessed "gozinta".

The part the bolt goze inta.

Visiting Guest

06-04-03, 02:08 PM   #6  
Joe_F
More like, "I better gonzita my wallet for more money".

After redoing a good part of the front end bolts on my 79 Trans Am to OEM GM bolts, I can tell you bolts, nuts, screws and washers add up! LOL.

Search this Thread