Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Amps

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 12:26 PM   #1  
royalet
Amps

I had an amp installed in my truck 300 watts and 2-12 inch kenwoods, heres the problem it sounds good, butthe more i crank the base, the fuse blows , it is a 30 amp fuse it is part of the power wire connecting to the battery, the fuses in side the amp are fine

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 12:48 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Yikes. You cannot install a stereo without knowing the compatibility of the components with the existing electrical system.

This is not DIY repair. Leave this type of work to professional stereo shops. The overload is likely too much for the vehicle's electrical system.

If you had it installed in your vehicle by a shop, bring it back and demand they rectify the problem.

My personal opinion: Most aftermarket stereo installations are hokey and subsequently have to be undone. There are handful of good folks out there doing custom work and they charge accordingly because they know how things interact and how to do a seamless installation.

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 01:07 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
Friend of mine installed about such a system in a firebird. Battery and alt couldnt keep up. Ended up spending bucks on upgrading elec charging system Bigger alt. OUCH!!!

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 01:14 PM   #4  
royalet
Thanks

06-03-03, 02:38 PM   #5  
Some simple math can explain this :-)

Assuming 300W continuous output at a conservative
60% amp efficiency means you're drawing almost
500W from the battery/alternator. 500W is just
over 40amps at 12V.

There's the problem :-)

While putting in a bigger fuse is probably the simplest solution,
don't overlook how much power your power cable can
carry without heating up and creating a fire hazard.
40amps is a lot of juice to carry across some wires.

Check the copper wire tables to see what wire guage you
need to carry that much power and then bump it up a notch.
Or, conversely, check how much power your existing cables
can carry and size the fuse accordingly.

aaron

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 05:21 PM   #6  
jason1b
there is a simple solution to your problem.your amp should have 2 power wires,one small one for a switched power to tell the amp when to turn on and on fatty power wire for a constant flow of power,this wire should be nice and fat and should go straight to the battery and right before it connects to the battery it should have its own inline fuse,and then if you still have power problems you will need a higher output altenator,but you can get a ket with the big power wire and a fuse set for like $19.99 at radio shack or at a car stereo dealer.

Search this Thread