Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Thank You!

Visiting Guest

06-03-03, 06:46 PM   #1  
peacefularies
Thank You!

Thank you to all who wrote with suggestions. Downloaded a lot of good info from Chilton's - it's been helpful too. Regarding having a mechanic look at it, my trusted mechanic is no longer with us. Someone else was recommended, so I do have that option. Money is always an issue, though. From everything I've read recently, and the fact that the inside air is always warmer than normal, the thermostat seems a likely culprit. Will see what happens, but just wanted to say thanks to everybody - this has been a good experience for me, as it's forced me to learn about my car, which is something I should have probably done a long time ago!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-04-03, 02:38 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Ummm, ok . I forgot which car, which problem, etc.

Please use the reply button versus starting a new post each time so as to keep continuity of posting and so everyone can follow along too.

Visiting Guest

06-04-03, 03:00 PM   #3  
peacefularies
Ok - thanks for letting me know. It was the Dodge Spirit.

OH

06-05-03, 03:55 AM   #4  
See Joe really is a part of the 15% club. LOL Another happy person.

Visiting Guest

06-05-03, 06:52 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Lol.

Original poster: Inside joke based on a recent poster that stated that "85% of dealer work is trial and error"

Mattison is among the MANY professional folks here can SURELY count themselves in the 15% club too. This forum wouldn't be as great as it is without folks like yourself.

Visiting Guest

06-05-03, 08:06 PM   #6  
peacefularies
85% funny...

Well, that was an interesting "conversation!" I would tend to agree that car doctoring, like people doctoring is sometimes a matter of trial and error - I like to try to understand stuff, though, so I've been making more of an effort to research any given problem BEFORE getting professional assistance.

I called a reputable repair shop today about the problem, and they told me just about the same stuff as you guys. But they charge $45 just to diagnose the problem in the shop. When I told another female acquaintance that I was researching this via the web, she actually told me I should just take it to a professional who knows what he's doing and not try to self-diagnose the problem! Probably so, but if it's something I can do myself with a little help from other sources, I will end up saving $ plus learning something new.

Joe, as one Aries to another, I understand where you're coming from.

Visiting Guest

06-06-03, 05:58 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Not much of a horoscope reader, but ok ....lol

The main thing is that if the cooling system has not seen maintenance (new coolant, thermostat, hoses, belts) in a while, that would be the place to start anyhow, even if it does NOT solve the problem. Those are maintenance, not failure items.

As I stated, Chrysler cars have gauge fluctuation issues and that is normal. Alldata has a bulletin or two on this problem. Until the coolant temperature "Normalizes", it says that the gauge tends to fluctuate, going as high as the 3/4 mark near the "H". My friend's 1991 Dodge Shadow (same heap as this, slightly different chassis) has had gauge fluctuation since day one---and his has 160,000 miles on it .

Start with basic maintenance and see where that gets you. I would also suggest you have the radiator professionally boiled out---those are also known cloggers too.

Visiting Guest

06-07-03, 05:56 PM   #8  
peacefularies
it was the thermostat!

Thanks again. Replaced the thermostat and the car has been fine. The car has a lot of miles on it, so I SHOULD have been more up to date on maintenance. I'm learning.

Search this Thread