Throwout bearings and stuff

Old 06-04-03, 01:51 PM
Throwout bearings and stuff

I've been avoiding driving my 84 Toyota Celica, 22RE engine, 181K miles, for the past year until I could replace the clutch since it everytime I clutch-in/clutch-out, there would be metal-scraping, thunking, and clicking noises from the transmission. I finally had a chance to drop my transmission this weekend.

Clutch actually looks ok. Instead, it looks like a problem with my throwout bearing.

Here's a sad attempt at a crud drawing of what it and the throwout bearing and release fork/lever looks like, looking down the center of the crankshaft. [Try to ignore the periods since this forum strips out whitespace, and I can't draw it properly otherwise.]

.......................+---------------+......
....................../..../------- A--B+......
...+------------/..../......+--A--B.......
...|................|....|......|.........|.......
...+------------\....\......B--A--+.......
......................\....\----B--A---+......
.......................+---------------+.....
Points A are where the fork actually pushes against the bearing. There's strong indication that my clicking noise is between the points 'B' because the corners of the throwout bearing's frame are worn from the fork tines rubbing against the frame everytime the clutch is pushed in.

The bearing itself is still good. Only 2 of the diagonal opposite corners of the bearing frame are worn because the bearing is torqued in the direction of the flywheel spin. Corners at B are a bit rounded from the wear, and the metal that's exposed is shiny. There's no usable grease in the areas of contact -- that's probably half the problem.

Hope this sort of describes what it looks like.

Now my questions:
- how much clearance is typical between the fork tines and the bearing? In other words, should there be so much clearance that I can jiggle the bearing by rotating in each direction with respect to the fork? There's probably 30-50mils of space by eyeballing it..

- how often do release levers go bad? it's just a heavy gauge stamped piece of metal. It looks OK, and I find it a bit hard to imagine the tines opening up since it's so thick and heavy [ you can probably kill someone with it]. Do I need a new lever?

- I assume I'll just go get a new throwout bearing since the frame corners are a bit rounded. I'll put in a new clutch disk since I'm in there. Bummer is the clutch disk that's there now isn't worn much more than half way down..It's got about 110Kmiles on it. Not sure if I need a new pressure plate since it appears to work and feel fine.

- With respect to thunking along the transmission line when the clutch engages as I let the clutch out, any ideas on this one? worn differential/tranny? If I rotate the driveshaft back and forth while I'm under the car, there's about 1/8" play. Is that bad? My manuals don't make any mention of what's acceptable.

thanks
aaron

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-03, 01:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I'll sum it up like this:

The clutch is wasted, as is the pressure plate, as is the bearing. Replace all three at once and have the flywheel surfaced. There are kits with all three parts.

The fork is probably old and should be changed now. At that mileage, bad U-joints are a possibility too.

If it were my car, it'd get a new clutch kit, a flywheel resurface, new fork and U-joints. It will be like new after that, barring any internal tranny problems (possible at this age and mileage).

You'll do this job twice if you cheap out on parts---not fun.