Replacement brakes for 98 Venture

Old 06-04-03, 02:44 PM
techtim
Visiting Guest
Replacement brakes for 98 Venture

I need to replace the front brake pads on my 1998 Venture. I bought this van at 28k miles. It had new pads on it, but I have little doubt that they were cheap. They were put on by a high volume GM dealer. The brakes always had a moderate amount of squeal under light brake pressure.

I have read through the forum about the brand and style of brake to buy. I don't mind spending the money on the best brake. I would like mainly to reduce or eliminate squealing.

Should I go for a good brand of metallic, ceramic, or go to the GM dealer and ask for OEM pads?

And are OEM GM pads different than AC/Delco?

Thanks always for the help I receive here!!

Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-03, 02:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on the line of Delco

Durastop by Delco is reboxed Raybestos. There is also an OEM line of pads that GM sells under the Delco name.

Check acdelco.com for more details. I'd go with OEM GM or Raybestos PG grade. I've never had a problem with the latter.

Old 06-04-03, 04:45 PM
You didn't mention how many miles on the van now, but if the pads were replaced at 28k by the dealer, and you're having to replace them now, take a look at your rear brakes.. Make sure there's plenty of lining, and are properly adjusted up. This has can cause fronts to wear out prematurely..
As for front pads.. I'm beginning to really like Wagner's Thermo Quiet pads.. Good life, no noise, great stopping action..