Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

paintless dent repair

Visiting Guest

06-04-03, 08:12 PM   #1  
boomer50
paintless dent repair

What can you tell me about paintless dent repair? Does it really work? quality? Price etc.
I have a 2002 chevy silverado pick up less then one year. this pick up was hit by a hail storm last week and recieved about 2 dozen small marble sized dents on the hood and roof. I am considering having them removed through this paintless dent
repair but don't know much about it.
in this area of the country(north texas) hail storms are common in the past i have always had the dents repaired through a regular body shop sometimes costing thousands of dollars through insurance claims i have heard alot of talk about PDR and was hoping someone could give me some advice on this option.
Also what do you think about purchasing a DIY Ding king kit as seen on TV and trying it myself.

One otherquick question Someone once told me that if dry ice were applied directly to these dents on a hot day it would pop most of them out. Any thing to this?
Thanks for any help or advice you can give me
GLB

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-05-03, 03:19 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Yes, dry ice and PDR both work. PDR is not DIY repair---professional only.

If hail storms are common in your neck of the woods, insurance rates probably reflect this and I would let the body shop/insurance company deal with it. You can't control the weather .

Visiting Guest

06-05-03, 05:22 PM   #3  
boomer50
pdr

Thanks Joe
Just left the insurance ajusters office Recieved over $2700.00 for damages don;t look that bad to me but labor for conventional body shop was figured at $85.00 per hour. Also nearly $600.00 of this was for replacement of Hard cover toneu lid made of poly plastic or something.
on my way home i noticed several traveling or portable paintless dent repair stations set u on various dealer and auto parts store.
may get a estimate from these people and maybe the chance to check out some of there work before masking a choice on which way to go. Hopefully there will be a little left over out of insurance check for nice set of rims. or at least enough for a fathers day steak and a 6 pak. again thanks for the info

Visiting Guest

06-05-03, 05:53 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Sure. Just be careful of the "portables" as some may do shoddy work and then leave you high and dry, costing you more in the long run.

This is a 2002 truck, fix it right . You might ask some body shops if they do PDR.

Visiting Guest

06-07-03, 07:51 AM   #5  
spolsen
Alot of dealerships use a dentless repair in Northeast USA. Maybe you could ask @ a dealer who they use(one without a body shop). Just a thought...

Search this Thread