'94 Cavalier half shaft removal?

Old 06-05-03, 09:33 AM
'94 Cavalier half shaft removal?

I have a '94 Cavalier, 2.2L 4 cyl., 5 speed std. trans. I am going to replace the lower ball joints and bearing/hub ass'ys. & seals.

While it's apart I will take a look at the half shafts. If bad, I want to replace them too. My manual is shaky in this area and my software doesn't go back that far. I checked the link provided several times on this forum. References are made to a couple of special tools to remove and install the shafts.

Can anyone give me a pointer or two on doing this job without those "special tools". (no problem with the outside or hub end)

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-03, 09:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
In looking at the autolibrary link, it appears that the tool on the tranny side is nothing more than an attachment for a Silver Slapper Body slap hammer tool. LOL.

My experience is that most times it just pulls right out with a little persuasion . A crowbar strategically placed will probably do the same thing .

An option you might try is going to Autozone and seeing if you can rent these items free of charge (worth a shot).

Good luck,

Old 06-05-03, 09:48 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks, Joe. I had a suspicion that I could get around the "special" stuff, but I would rather ask first. Better safe than sorry!

Rather work on a snowblower any day.
Now, off to get parts.

Tom

Old 06-05-03, 09:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. Sure thing.

I know my neighbor has done it without the "special tools".

Be careful where you place the crow bar and go easy, so as not to dent or scrape anything. Let us know how you make out.

Here's an idea: A pickle fork used for separating ball joints may fit around the end of the joint (in fact the "special tool" they quote kind of looks like that) and if you can find a way to tap on that judiciously, you will be able to pop it out of the tranny.

Just be careful and have patience .