Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

changing the oil

CO

06-05-03, 10:18 AM   #1  
changing the oil

Just curious on some opinions. My 1995 Chevy Corsica V6 has 125,000 miles. I change the oil at about 3000-3500 miles. Its pretty black at this point. But, I've seen various guides stating up-to 5000 miles changes. Am I changing it too frequently?

Also, I've seen oils specific to high mileage cars. Do they make a difference?

Thanks,
Shawn

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-05-03, 10:25 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Change your oil every 3k/3 months. It is the reason your car has lasted this long .

"High Mileage" motor oils are nothing but marketing ploys. Just use the recommended OEM grade and if it burns it, the engine is frankly shot. Stepping up a weight is going to buy you some time, but the motor is on borrowed time at that point.

Visiting Guest

06-06-03, 06:02 AM   #3  
redneck
Joe is right, I feel the 3000 miles changes is the only reason my '91 v6 berreta is still going strong at 150k, I recently put valve cover gaskets on it--and the inside looks new! Does not use any oil between changes! Alot of little things go wrong with higher mileage cars, but unless something major goes--ie. tranny/engine, I am going to run this thing and see how many miles it will take! Good luck, and keep up your maintenence!

Search this Thread