Found On Road Dead

Old 06-05-03, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Found On Road Dead

Hey, Joe Cool, remember my brother's Sable 3.8 that I had to wrestle with last year over a coolant leak at the timing cover [same one that got tranny overhauled @ about 40k miles]?

Take a guess what it needs now.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-03, 07:56 PM
A new owner?
LOL
Sorry, just couldn't resist!
(Don't beat me up, I will admit to owning a Pinto many years back!)

Old 06-05-03, 09:45 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I'm not Joe, but I'll guess that it needs either a)head gaskets or b) a new bottom end. Gotta love the 3.8s. Job security for mechanics!

Old 06-06-03, 03:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Aye....it either lunched the tranny or blew the head gasket.

It MAY be worth repairing depending on condition.

Thank goodness for my old rear drive GM cars. Everyone should own one . LOL

Old 06-06-03, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
Already had the standard tranny failure, so must be time for blown head gasket. Got the call from my sister-in-law last night; classic symptoms. Fortunately she only drove it about 2 blocks after it started to sputter and the temp go up. I like fish's suggestion, but unfortunately it has sentimental value for my Mom - was my Dad's last car. S-I-L suggested maybe going back to where it's sitting (service station in a seedy area) and leaving the keys on the hood. Unfortunately I doubt there's any car thieves stupid enough to steal a Sable/Taurus. Been keeping my fingers crossed about the head gaskets ever since having to go 12 rounds with the timing cover gasket last year. I wish the rest of the car was trashed, but it's not in bad shape; only about 60k miles on it. A few minor annoyances as you would expect of a 10 yr old car, but body and interior are in decent shape. Probably going to have to drag it down here this weekend (200 mile round trip in the wrecker, WOO-HOO]. No way it's worth spending $$$ for someone else to do the job.

For you guys who've done one of these; anything special I should watch for to bite me in the ### or any particular phase of the operation that is a real serious PITA? Already know about new head bolts and will be visiting my favorite garage to get Alldata printout.

Old 06-06-03, 05:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Change the water pump. Have the heads checked by a good machine shop. Use quality gaskets such as Felpro.

It's a fairly involved job, will probably take you a couple of weekends to accomplish. Having moral support from friends is always a help of course.

I can get you the Alldata printouts if you give me a fax # and don't have access to them.

Old 06-06-03, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Got alldata sources, thanks joe. Water pump is year old with about 8k miles on it; changed it last year while fixing the timing cover leak.

Old 06-06-03, 01:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You may wish to change the timing chain and gear set on this one while you have it apart. You're pretty close.

I actually have an earlier 3.8 timing set for Fords NEW in the box, but I don't think it fits your vehicle, it's for 82 to 87 3.8's.

Search this Thread