stick shift

Old 06-06-03, 06:49 AM
dyi123
Visiting Guest
stick shift

Hi,

I have a 2002 5-speed Camry. Every time when I stop, for instance at the light, and ready to go again, I have a hard time to shift to the first gear. Does this mean something wrong with the gear, gear box, or this is a new design? Please advise.

Regards,
David

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-03, 07:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like something's amiss there. Dealer's problem, not yours, new car .

Old 06-06-03, 07:55 AM
dyi123
Visiting Guest
Hi Joe_F,

I have taken the car to the dealership once and they said there is nothing wrong and that is the way it is suppose to be. Could you be more specific to point out what could be wrong? Thank you so much.

Regards,
David

Old 06-06-03, 08:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try another Toyota dealer. It could be a clutch linkage problem, a clutch pedal problem, a shifter problem or an internal transmission problem.

Alldata shows no bulletins that I could find that match this problem. Up to the dealer to resolve it. If there's nothing the dealer can do, get Toyota headquarters in California involved.

Old 06-06-03, 08:40 AM
dyi123
Visiting Guest
Hi Joe_F,

Thanks for the pointer.

I hope you don't mind I ask another question. Is it
true that for a normal clutch system, I should be able
to shift to any gear no matter what the current car speed as long as the clutch is engaged? Thanks.

Regards,
David

Old 06-06-03, 09:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Why you'd want to shift into 1st doing 60mph for example is beyond me, but I don't think the system cares much if the clutch is pushed in....the clutch is disengaged at that point .

However, it sounds like the clutch is just erratic or sticky. Again, demand the dealer have a look. Get their refusal in writing on the problem. In this fashion, if there is a problem after the warranty, the dealer will eat the repair free of charge since you brought it to their attention.

If the condition is unbearable, complain to Toyota Corporate about the problem.

Old 06-06-03, 10:55 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
As Joe sez, you may need to camp on the dealers door entrance. Sounds like clutch is not releasing. Could be oil, a freeze plug seeping on back of block dripping onto clutch plate, ends up like molasses and is sticky stuff, causing big problems. See this before on fords for example. Maybe linkage or hydraulic related. Low oil, wrong oil. Dealer should give a better explanation.
I dont think trying to down shift from a high rate of speed, specially into low, the problem you state is not really uncommon.
Record all the info the dealer shop gives you for reference later on if problem persists. Only way to go, a 2000 mod. You should not be jerked around.

Old 06-06-03, 12:18 PM
skim35
Visiting Guest
Normal for some cars

Difficult to shift first gear is normal for some cars. It all depends on the transmission design.

Old 06-06-03, 12:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ummm, my 1979 Trans Am with a MECHANICAL linkage shifts like butter. I'd say it's hardly normal on a 2002 car .