'90 Plymouyh Grand Voyager - it's always something...

Old 06-06-03, 04:29 PM
'90 Plymouth Grand Voyager - it's always something...

My van has the 3.8l EFI v-6. It's been running fine since I replaced the broken valve spring and bent rocker arm. Today, however, was a different story. We made a 400-mile round trip, the first 200 of which were completely uneventful. After stoping for lunch, we filled up with gas and headed home. After going about far enough to finish sucking the existing fuel out of the pump/lines/injectors and start using the "new" fuel in the tank, the van sputterred, stumbled, bucked, and did not want to accelerate.I got out and checked for vacuum lines/hoses disconnected, air filter clogged and PCV system discrepancies, with no problems found. I hoped it was a fuel problem and after about 100 miles, the van seemed to run just fine again. Upon returning home, I read error codes from the Check Engine light and got 12, 21 and 55 (memory standby power lost, oxygen sensor circuit, and end of codes). I want to check the signal voltage from the O2 sensor to the computer. Which wire is the signal - black/green, black/blue, black, or green/black? I NEED to invest in a factory shop manual for this vehicle, and will soon, but for now,... Oh, a little additional information may be in order here. The area we live in/drove through experienced severe rainstorms the night before. I know this could have affected the "new" gas if water got into the supply tanks. Could it also have caused the computer to sense a problem with the O2 sensor and to set a code for same? Just a thought - let me know what you think. Thanks - Chris

Last edited by CMil; 06-06-03 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-03, 08:30 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Contaminated fuel can abosutely cause an O2 sensor code if the contaminated fuel causes the engine to misfire.

The O2 sensor measures exhaust gas oxygen content. A misfire greatly INCREASES the amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream. The O2 sensor "sees" this as a lean condition & triggers the check engine light, and stores a code in the ECM memory.

I recommend you run the tank until nearly empty & add 2 or 3 cans of dry gas. Run the engine for a while (or drive the van if you dare). Then change the fuel filter & refill w/ gas from a local gas station.

Clear the ECM codes by disconnecting the battery. Drive the van for a while & let us know what happens.

Old 06-06-03, 09:44 PM
Thanks, knuckles! Just so I'm clear on this: by "dry gas", you're talking about any of the additives for removing water from the fuel, right? That stuff won't hurt any of the sensors, will it? If I add the dry gas when I'm down to about 1/4 tank (around 5 gallons), would that be low enough? Your post makes sense; I don't know that I would have reached the same conclusion before LOTS of frustration. I'll post with results of the run-dry and filter change as soon as I get 'em done. Thanks again - Chris

Old 06-07-03, 06:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Run it until the low fuel light comes on and then fill it up right away. Don't run lower, you risk wiping out the fuel pump by doing so.

Dry Gas=about .99 at any parts store. Won't harm a thing. It will absorb the water.

Then do as Knuckles stated.

Old 06-07-03, 08:15 AM
I've said it before, but I'll say it again - this forum, its moderators and members are the best. My thanks, as always, go to Joe_F, knuckles, davo, stevo2 and all the members who are always willing to share their experience, knowledge and expertise with others.
My wife drove the van for a little bit this morning, and it didn't give her a problem. I will still follow the prior advice of adding the dry-gas and changing the filter, but here's a thought - could the computer be in "open-loop" or "limp-home"mode after setting an O2 sensor-related code, even if the Check Engine light isn't on solid? When our Olds set a No Distributor Signal code and turned the Check Engine light on full-time, it still ran pretty well, just used a little more gas. Just wondering... Anyway, thanks again. I'll let you know what happens. - Chris

Old 06-07-03, 09:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Follow Knuckles advice and let us know. Easiest and cheapest way.

Search this Thread