Dash Vent Liners

Old 06-06-03, 06:21 PM
Dash Vent Liners

My 1988 Thunderbird came without upper dash vent liners. I bought the car new, so I know they were not installed at the factory. I never liked the way the vents looked with the foam showing etc but thought that was the way they came until a friend at work showed up with a sister car and I saw them. They looked great, so I combed the wrecking yards and finally found a set. The problem is installing them. They have tabs on them that hold them tightly into the vents. They were probably easily installed at the production point with the dash out of the car, but If there is a way I can install them without doing that, I would sure like to know. Getting the dash out of this car is a class A @#$% (Actually doing anything is, but it's paid for)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-03, 06:52 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Trying to visualize what you have. 2 or 3 vents? Possibly you can get to pass. by removing glove box liner. Maybe a center one by removing radio or similar obstacle. Driver vent would be difficult I am sure and removing the instrument panel on this is really major. Could you possibly pre bend 2 tabs, insert one side and use an"L" shaped piece of metal that you would have to fabricate to reach in and bend remaining 2 tabs. Sorry, Without seeing, thats the best I can offer. No doubt they were installed when dash was fabricated and before installation. Question: How could you have possibly missed this when you purchased it? Good luck on this project.

Old 06-06-03, 07:14 PM
Vent Liners

Darrell, there are two vents. I have a feeling that they were not installed in a LOT of cars, because they were not installed in a lot of the wrecks I examined when I was looking for them! Maybe somebody from Ford Motor could explain that! (it is really not that noticable unless you know what you are looking for) I have tried all of the routes you have suggested. I guess you would have to see it...

Old 06-07-03, 06:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Fords "quality" has always been suspect, and 1988 was a lackluster year for them, so I don't doubt it got "missed". LOL.

You might return to the junkyard and see if you can work the vents loose on the junker. Sometimes you have to "bend" the vent out of the holder a bit by using a small screwdriver to get one side of the vent out, then with one side free, you can slide out the vent.

I say do this in the junkyard because if you ruin the vents it's on a heap that's going to be a Toyota in 6 months via scrap metal, not your own car. Practice there

Old 06-07-03, 06:48 AM
How did they come out of the donor car?If you didn't remove them ask the junkyard how they removed them.

Old 06-07-03, 06:57 PM
Dash Vent Liners

I pryed them out of the donor car myself. It was easy. It is getting them installed into my car properly that is the problem. In order for the vent liners to fit "right" the tabs have to be inserted between the plastic and the foam and then clamped tightly to compress everything together. If I dont do this, the vent liners sit up about 1/4 inch above the vent. I can get the liners and tabs into the vent, but can see no way to clamp them properly without taking the dash out of the car. I will play around with a steel bar with some bends in it that perhaps I can work up from under the dash, but it seems like there are ducts that interfere with the accomplishment of that idea. Thanks for the replies!