98 Durango AC Blower Problem

Old 06-07-03, 04:01 AM
plugger
Visiting Guest
98 Durango AC Blower Problem

I have a 98 Dodge Durango 5.2 ltr engine. Last season the interior blower began acting up. Actually, the blower still worked; but there would be no air flow when the AC was on, even tho the AC was engaged and working. After awhile the air would begin to flow into the car through the selected vents. The noise level is the same, so I think the air flow direction system and not the blower itself is acting up. This season, we get no air flow at all regardless how long we have the AC on. This problem also occurs with just the air vent selected (no AC or heat). The interesting twist to the problem is that the air flow system seems to work OK with the heater. I'm looking for suggestions before I take it to a mechanic.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-03, 06:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Likely a vacuum problem which is preventing the air from coming out the right vents. It could also be a programmer (electronic) problem if the vehicle has auto temperature control/electronic A/C

Look around in the engine compartment for any cracked vacuum lines or burned through ones. Check alldata.com for any known bulletins on the problem.

My sister had the 1999 version of this truck, it was leased. Biggest bomb in creation . She has a 2002 Tahoe now---far superior and devoid of any problems.

Old 06-07-03, 08:10 AM
plugger
Visiting Guest
Durango/Tahoe

I'm glad for your sister. Every machine model seems to have its strengths and weaknesses on top of the lemons produced randomly by every production line.

We have been very happy with our Durango... and I was against getting it when we did. Its pure truck thru and thru, but rides well for everyone except the 3rd seat in the very back; it keeps its good looks; has performed very well in a wide range of driving situations for us (particularly where safety was concerned), and seems to have lots of life left (knock on wood, it has over 120k miles).

No vehicle meets everyone's needs, but the Durango has met or exceeded everything we expected in performance and dependability... until this wierd AC problem developed... and low overall maintenance costs are a biggy in my list of expectations. Thanks for your helpful suggestions on this as well as in other issues posted on this board. This is a very cool web site!

Old 06-07-03, 08:42 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Plugger:
Can you try to determine if it is vac assist or electronic? What I do sometime is start engine and then shut it off. Be quiet and listen while you move your controls and see if they "Hiss" at ya. If not it probably has a slide or rheostat elec control. If so try same procedure with just the key in run position.These rheostat controls have a bad habit of malfunctioning if they get the least bit of dirt or contaminates. Give it an ole temper tantrum and work it several times. Seen this procedure work a couple or so of times. If it is the automatic temp control?? PITA big time without proper diagnostic equip.

Old 06-07-03, 09:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Plugger:

My sister thought so too. But when she drove the Tahoe, the Durango seemed like a 1960's truck in comparison. The Tahoe is everything the Durango could ever be and then more.

Not to mention that it hasn't been back to the dealer once for any recalls. My sister went back for one free checkup. Other than that, I've just done oil changes .

(Which was a PITA on the Durango (dripped everywhere) and is a snap on the 5.3 Tahoe .

Old 06-08-03, 08:46 PM
Visiting Guest
hey plugger, without seeing the vehicle, i would say you have a blocked airflow across the evaporator, the key being that everything works normal with the heat on(when the evap. gets bypassed) i don't think the 98s had elec controls yet, i think that came out like 2000? which should mean it's all vacuum controlled. unless you only have air coming out of the defroster(the default setting) you have vacuum to the switch, usually a bad switch will be stuck on one setting only(floor,defrost, face or all three at once) it's not uncommon for leaves or even a mouse nest to block the evap, sorry, but the only way to get to that is to take the whole box out and unless you have a freon recycling machine, you can't do it

let us know how it goes

mike

Search this Thread