Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

94 civic switching to oil and temp guages

Visiting Guest

06-07-03, 11:50 PM   #1  
rcracer
94 civic switching to oil and temp guages

I am installing mechanical oil pressure and water temp. gauges in a 94 civic. It currently has the "idiot light" type displays on the dash. My question is can I put the sending units for the new gauges where the old ones were or do I have to make new holes. Also, since I will be disconnecting the "idiot lights", could that cause a problem for the ecm since it won't be getting readings from them? It is the D16 engine (sohc vtec).

Sponsored Links

06-08-03, 01:05 AM   #2  
Typically, there's a sender and sensor for the cooling system..Sensor feed the ECM the proper information, the sender feed the gauge. You should be able to replace the OE sender with the new for your new guages with no problems. As for your oil pressure sender/switch, You'd need to look up to see if it's tied into other systems before making the swap. Some cars tie the oil pressure sender in with the fuel pump system (electrically) to kill the fuel pump in the event of lost oil pressure...
A good repair manual, with wiring diagrams should give you the information you need..

Visiting Guest

06-08-03, 06:40 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Check with VDO, Stewart Warner and other known gauge companies to see what kits they have available to convert it. Best way.

Second best way is if the vehicle HAD a gauge option, find a cluster out of a wrecked Civic and swap everything over. Be prepared for wiring gazorches and you'll need a wiring diagram as suggested.

Search this Thread