Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

body work on bronco

IL

06-08-03, 07:03 PM   #1  
body work on bronco

Hello

I have a '95 bronco i want to do some body work on. I have never done any kind of repairs like this, but I am sure I can do it if I knew how.

Basically it is in very good shape, Eddie Bauer white with gold EB trim. It has the typical roof cracks, I think I will probably pay somebody to do that depending on what is involved. It also has a bad cab corner (bubbling) and the paint is just starting to bubble on the wheel wells in the rear (basically it has all the typical ford truck problems). The tailgate is basically shot and I do have a nib one already (oem ford).

I was thinking I could basically wire wheel all the bad metal out of each spot and fill it in with filler. How well will this method work? (if at all) My first concer is to preserve the truck and get the rust taken care of.....unfortunately i dont have the money to take it to a shop and tell them to fix it.

I can weld and have access to a plasma cutter but if i can get out of it without doing any cutting on the truck that would be my first choice.

Thanks in advance

Ed.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-08-03, 08:47 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Along with the access to the tools, you're going to need a competent helper.

Wire wheeling won't do much. The proper way to prep the metal is to blast off all the old paint or use a chemical stripper---not DIY repair.

Best suggestion. Strip the truck to the bare shell, leave it painted. Work with the body shop owner on what dissassembly will save you money and net a quality job and what will not. Then, do the assembly yourself, letting the shop handle the actual body work.

Rust will come back again and again if it's not cut out and a new panel welded in there or chemically converted.

IL

06-09-03, 04:24 AM   #3  
I also have a sandblaster, would that take care of it?

Ed.

Visiting Guest

06-09-03, 08:37 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Not really. A professional grade one is required that will get out all the paint.

Again, the suggestion I provided is a worthy one if you want to save money AND get a quality job.

Search this Thread