Tire Truing??

Old 06-11-03, 02:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tire Truing??

Does anyone do tire truing anymore? I get a very rough ride right around 40 MPG but there is no steering wheel vibration. Tires have been balanced & rotated. Front end aligned. Approx 16,000 miles on the tires. The shop says they are worn unevenly. I'm willing to sacrifice some miles of tire wear to get corrected. None of the yellow page ad's in Nashville, TN state that they do tire truing. Any ideas?

Old 06-11-03, 03:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It might not be the tires. Rotate them front to back to see if the problem moves with the tires. If not, could be steering and suspension related.

Beyond that, it could be a shifted belt in the tire. If so, it's wasted, must be replaced.

Old 06-11-03, 05:36 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
if you can watch the tire spin either on the balancer or carefully on the car you will be able to see if it is one of the tires. what type of vehicle is this happening on. i've had the same problem on my mustang and it turned out to be the driveshaft, one of the weights fell off.

Old 06-11-03, 05:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've heard of truing up wooden spoke wheel on a horse drawn wagon, and wood spoked wheels on Model-T, and bicycles, but never heard of truing up a tire. Tires are merely balanced while they are mounted on a rim. An unevenly worn tire will become unbalanced and can cause steering vibration, but not a 'rough ride'.

You said the tires have been balanced. If they were balanced when they were new tires (which is typical), then they will become unbalanced later as the tire wears unevenly. A balanced tire does not mean it will always remain balanced. It only means that it is balanced at the time it was done. A new tire can be shot after only 16,000 miles if there is an alignment problem causing the tire to wear excessly.

Some cars have known problems with tire wear. For example, the Ford Taurus, circa 1987, had a severe camber problem with the rear tires which occurs after say 5 years. A rear tire problem can be felt while driving at certain speeds, say 40 to 60 mph. A rear tire problem will feel more like a car vibration instead of a steering vibration. Those types of known problems will greatly shorten the life of a tire. Fortunately, those problems are covered by published TSB's from the manufacturer and can be corrected.

Old 06-11-03, 08:19 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
sandy:
I know of which you speak concerning tire truing. With all the new tech, I dont think you will find them around much anymore. Seen it done many times and the truing process, even tho the loss of rubber, did increase the miles you would get from the tires.
You may have 1 or maybe 2 tires causing the problem, not unusual really, Depends on brand and quality. Some tires simply ride softer than others. I have always been satisfied with uni-royal tiger paws or michelin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: