throttle valve cable adjustment

Old 06-10-03, 10:17 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
throttle valve cable adjustment

I have a 1992 mercury grand marquis, 4.6 AOD. I would like to know how to adjust the throttle valve cable. I had to put a different trans in and its not shifting correctly.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-03, 10:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Is the transmission the same type/model as what came originally or something totally different?

The cable may differ from model to model to tranny to tranny or specific to both.

Check autolibrary.org, but this may be trial and error if we're dealing with something that wasn't meant to be.

Old 06-10-03, 10:24 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
its the same model type and everything.

Old 06-10-03, 11:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have a look at autolibrary in such case. Usually it involves adjusting a nut on the cable and hitting the throttle WOT to rachet it into place.

Old 06-11-03, 05:03 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
thats the frist place i looked, has anyone done this?

Old 06-11-03, 06:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does your service manual have to say in lieu of autolibrary.org with nothing there??

It varies by car, make, manufacturer and such. A trip to a tranny shop should net it right for you. They've probably done thousands. In the past, I'd often call a tranny shop we dealt with and they would coach you over the phone.

Old 06-11-03, 11:14 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
I'VE READ THE SERVICE MANUAL, ALLDATA, AUTOLIBRARY, ETC.

I'M LOOKING TO SEE IF ANYONE'S DONE THIS. IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE THIS STOP OFFERING SUGGESTIONS

Old 06-11-03, 11:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Umm, if you've read those, they would tell ya how to do it.

What service manual are ya using? Should be the OEM Ford. If it's a serviceable adjustment, it's in the book.

Not trying to be a hardass. This is a critical adjustment and must be followed to the T in the book or the "new" tranny is lunched.

Search this Thread