Keyless Remote & Aftermarket Parts

Old 06-11-03, 11:24 AM
Keyless Remote & Aftermarket Parts

My Daughter just bought a 2003 Malibu. It does not have keyless Remote. I was wondering if it's prewired into the car and buying a remote is all we need to make it work. Or, does a receiver need to be installed to make it work.

I also need to replace the front bumper cover. She hit some road debris and tore the cover. I found a site, www.Auto-BodyParts.com, that advertises a new bumper cover for $85 including shipping.

This is 50% of the other quotes I've received. I've heard a lot of bad stories about aftermarket parts. Epecially about the fit problems. What is the truth about them? Are there significant differences in quality between different aftermarket parts? Does anyone know anything about the quality of www.Auto-BodyParts.com's parts?

Thanks,

Sherm

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-03, 11:31 AM
Correction

In the web adress above remove the hyphen to make it work. The correct address is www.AutoBodyParts.com.

Sherm

Old 06-11-03, 11:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
2003 car, use GM factory parts. I use OEM parts on my cars and they are 20+ years old. Only use aftermarket body parts when OEM drops them.

As for the remote, that could be a gazorch to wire up. See if GM has an authorized accessory kit for this....they likely do and that's the best way.

You'll need an OEM wiring diagram, plenty of patience and time to install it right. Me personally? I'd skip it, more of a headache than it's worth .

Old 06-11-03, 03:05 PM
I agree wit Joe on the remote.The bumper cover may be low grade,I've seen the insurance company only permit generic on several cars and the paint fell off in less than 24 hours.The covers come unpainted and when you paint some cheap ones oil comes out of the plastic and the paint falls off.After the paint falls off insurance will pay for original equipment cover.

Old 06-12-03, 05:45 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
keyless entry

sold by gm as a security kit with relay, horn, 2 keyfobs, module.

List price up here $140 CAD

part # 12497739

GM allows 3.0 hours install time. This alone tells me that it will be a pain in the ass if you try to install it yourself.

Old 06-12-03, 06:44 PM
I'm going to attempt it. Thanks for the replies.

Sherm

Old 06-13-03, 07:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Be sure you pick up the appropriate wiring diagrams before you start !

Old 06-13-03, 03:16 PM
You can do as you wish but from where I stand cutting wires and or the insulation is a big no no.May lead to problems down the road,even GM warranty since you installed it.Just a warning I replace ignition switches alot from remote starts and alarms(why Gm has security already) being aftermarket installed,love customer pay work.I don't reinstall the devices either.BTW I believe the 2004 Malibu may have remote start as a factory installed option.

Old 06-14-03, 06:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Davo. The factory GM kit is the only way to go in my belief if you MUST have it .

Newsflash: The remote is for convenience I'm sure . "Ain't" no one going to steal that thing .