Carb probs on 64 chevy

Old 06-12-03, 07:10 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Carb probs on 64 chevy

ok, This is my first post here so let me know if I give all the valid info.......

I have a 64 chevrolet belair. V8, 327 cu. in. automatic transmission, with a 2 barrel rochester carb on it. When I fire it up, and it's idling, the tube coming out the top of the carb. is spitting gas. I dont know what is causing this, nor have I ever heard of it. Anybody have any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-03, 07:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you rebuilt the carburetor and checked the fuel pressure?

Old 06-12-03, 09:03 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
I recently took it apart and changed the gaskets, but that is it. A friend told me I might need to adjust my float, any clue how to do that or if that might be the cause?

any help is appreciated

Old 06-12-03, 09:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Change the float, old and tired at this point. Adjust to the specs provided with the carburetor kit instructions. See where that nets you.

Old 06-13-03, 03:26 PM
The problem is the float or a piece of crud in the needle and seat. A jiffy kit will give you a new needle and seat but usually you half to buy the float seperatly. In the carb kit will give you the procedure on float adjustments. GOD BLESS HOLLEY

Old 06-14-03, 06:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sdogg:

A Holley would exhibit the same symptoms as a Rochester. In fact, a Holley wouldn't hold a candle to a Rochester on a stock application. In fact, a Holley doesn't hold a candle to a lot of performance applications where a Rochester would be far superior.

Rochesters are more fuel efficient, give better overall drivability, and performance than any Holley in most applications. Not to mention they fit and look correct as OEM equipment . The reason why most folks put Rochester carbs down is they simply lack the capacity to understand a well engineered piece , nothing more.

Every car manufacturer bought Rochester carburetors, including Chrysler and Ford for some of their engines.

Nunzi Romano of Pontiac fame said it best, "Rochester doesn't have to advertise, they sell 5 million carburetors a year" (in the heyday).

Old 06-14-03, 12:49 PM
Try adjusting a float level or replacing a needle and seat on a rodchester with out a tear down and a carb kit. as per the original topic

Old 06-14-03, 12:51 PM
PS Real men run Holleys !

Old 06-14-03, 12:56 PM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
thanks for all the help guys. I got it fixed. Ready for proog Im new to all this? I put the float in upside down. I feel really dumb now, but I got it all straightened out. thanks again

Old 06-14-03, 01:04 PM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
ok guys, new problem.

I went to set the timing on the same car above and ran into a snag. My timing light is acting weird. It is doing it's normal thing and then stopping for about 3 seconds and not turning on. Then it will blink with the timing for about 10-15 seconds and stop again for 3-5 seconds. I am not sure what this means. Do I have a bad plug or what? I thought at first it might be the timing light, as it was over 20 years old, but I went and bought a new one and the brand new light did the exact same thing in the same pattern, so the problem is consistent. What causes this? Any suggestions are appreciated.

P.S. yes I had the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, and I had the light hooked to the #1 spark plug wire.

Old 06-14-03, 04:57 PM
jetman1979
Visiting Guest
try this

Just for testing use a diffrent plug wire and see what it does.It might be a bad wire,cap,rotar,spark plug,

Old 06-15-03, 05:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Jetman.

SDogg:

All depends on what you are trying to do. Holley carburetors are fine where they are stock applications and have the "benefit" of modding. But, so do Rochesters. The men and boys are separated here by ability.

However, they are far inferior on most street applications for overall drivability, fuel economy and performance as a package on most applications. In short, a properly tuned Q-jet is everything a Holley is and 10 times better. There are plenty of tricks to do to a Q-jet to make it outrun any Holley. Brad Urban, Nunzi Romano and countless others have made a small fortune getting Q-jets to run with the best of 'em, look bone stock and STILL meet state emission laws.

The trick of a Rochester is getting folks that know them. They're not hard to understand. "Real Men" understand them. Besides, a Holley looks butt ugly on an intake manifold and in most cases on a Trans Am like mine, ruins the shaker hood scoop.

"Real Men" understand them . LOL. Doug Roe surely did with his Rochester carburetor book. After all, he worked for Rochester and gives the inside scoop on how they work .

Besides, no blasted power valves on a Rochester to blow out and leak .

Old 06-15-03, 02:15 PM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
Smile

ok, a little update for those of you who have helped, bad plug, go figure........ I even know how I did it. When i was setting the dwell before the timing, I was using my dwell meter that was somewhere from 15-20 years old, and it was no longer operational and I didnt realize it. Turned it up too high, plugs were firing too often, and I burned like 3 of em. I went ahead and replaced them all in case I damaged one and didnt realize it. ANyways, My next 3 questions are projects I plan on doing asap. This, as you can all imagine is a restoration project.

1. How hard is it(if possible) to change my 4 drums to brake pads with a master cylinder and all that stuff so the car stops when I hit the brakes?

2. Is it cheaper to redo the upholstry myself or pay someone to do it?

3. About how long and how much should I plan to spend to repaint the car? How many coats of paint and primer do I need to put on it etc. etc

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far

Old 06-15-03, 02:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good you got it fixed.

1) Not hard with some skill. Get the GM repair manual for this old horse. Links are in my signature file of where to get one. Parts should be available at any parts store and be pretty cheap.

2) It's cheaper to do it yourself, but requires good skill. Get books in the library and read, read, ready. Get a good quality kit such as one put out by PUI Industries.

3) Leave that to a professional for best results. Paintwork is not DIY work to achieve a professional job.

Old 06-15-03, 07:42 PM
Do what you want but never chuck the 327. When I was a teenager I owned a 64 SS Chevelle w/327 had a Q-jet 4bbl, 4 speed muncie, 12 bolt 411 rear end. Got stupid "Married at 18" and sold it to get an apt. Biggest mistake of my life. I sure miss that car.Don't miss the WITCH.

Old 06-16-03, 05:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mattison:

Aye . Rule #1: Women versus car, car wins out all the time. LOL

The trick is to marry/date a women who is into cars and supports them. Then there is no problem. LOL.

As for selling the car, yes I'd miss that one too. Nice car.

As the Beach Boys said, "Giddy up 409---Nothing can catch my 409" .

What a Golden era (I wasn't even born)

Search this Thread