Flashers

Old 06-12-03, 01:53 PM
thickey1
Visiting Guest
Flashers

I own a 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7. Great vehicle with the 4.6L V8 and AODE rear wheel drive transmission. Currently my indicator lights don't work nor due my emergency flashers. All other lights work including front back and backup lights. I beleive the problem to be flasher related but i cannot find where the flasher is located. Any assisstance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-03, 03:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Some newer cars use relays instead of flashers. If the hazards AND the turn signals don't work correctly, I'd suspect a bad turn signal/column switch.

Old 06-13-03, 07:18 AM
thickey1
Visiting Guest
turn signal column switch

When i lift the indicator arm to turn right or left there is no light. when i push the hazard light button on there are no lights. Would this support your original answer to my question that my problem is my turn signal column switch . If so where can i find the location of this switch the user link manual on your site i used but it only shows procedure for cougars 1983-88. Any response would be apprecitated.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-13-03, 07:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the library or Alldata.com for a subscription ($25).

Do the lamps work correctly on the outside when you activate the turn signals?

Old 06-13-03, 09:50 AM
thickey1
Visiting Guest
indicator lights/flashers

Joe the indicator lights do not light up at all on my dash or the outside indicator lamps.

Again thanks for your help.
Greatly apppreciated. Great board!

Old 06-13-03, 10:39 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
i recently had that problem on my corvette...no dash signal lights and no lights outside. i pulled the fuse (and a couple more) and looked for a bad one. after in installed them the lights worked....go figure. i'm thinking that the flasher over heated on me and would not allow the lights to come on until it cooled off....my wild guess...but they work fine now so i looked no further.

Old 06-13-03, 12:06 PM
Thats called Servicing your Fusebox...... they get corrosion on them where they make contact and when you roll them the corrosion scrapes off and walla, you have good contact once again. I have done this several times on Mercedes Benz cars.
Billy

Old 06-13-03, 12:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

Use autolibrary.org to guide you. I believe you have a bad turn signal switch.

Old 06-13-03, 02:54 PM
The turn signal flasher is an electronic solid state flasher. The location is under the dash on the drivers side up and to the left of the steering colum. It wont look like a conventual round silver one. It should have 3 wires going to it. Fuse 12 feeds the multifunction switch (turn signal switch) and should be checked first. If ok than move the turn signal lever either way on and check the light blue wire on the flasher for Bt. If power ok than check the white wire with red tracer on the flasher. This one should flash Bt. If it does than the flasher is ok and the problem most likely is the multifunction switch. The wires that feed the brake lights are the same as the turnsignals and 4 ways so if the brake lights work than the problem is the mutifunction switch. If no flashing power out of the flasher than check the black wire (the 3rd wire on the flasher) for a good ground. if good ground than you have a bad flasher.

Old 06-14-03, 02:27 AM
thickey1
Visiting Guest
Flashers/Turn Signals

I have 2 fuse boxes. In the engine compartment i have larger fuses and relays for blower motor, airconditioning, wipers, etc. Under my dash i have all other fuses for hazard lights, turn signals, headlamps.

I pulled and cleaned the contacts of every fuse i had under the steering column and reinstalled. Problem solved.

Joe my compliments again to you and the posters. Your site is awesome. I've fixed more equipment on my own through your site. I get quick replies. Just people wanting to help.

Thanks again!!!!

Old 06-14-03, 05:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You're welcome and glad that it was simple.