1987 Honda Accord LX

Old 06-12-03, 04:59 PM
Debbie7282
Visiting Guest
1987 Honda Accord LX

I have a 1987 Honda Accord LX. I recently, 2-1/2 months ago, had the back brakes done including new rotors and pads. Since then, I have had to take it back to the shop on 3 separate occasions to have the brakes adjusted because they would go almost completely to the floor.

Any ideal what might be causing this?

Also, I have purchased the Haynes Automotive Repair manual thinking I might start working on some things myself. Can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace the front brakes? Reading the manual....it doesn't seem like it would be too hard. I would also like to try to tackle replacing the struts as well. Any info and/or suggestions regarding this?

Thanks for your help!

Deb

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-03, 05:19 PM
You car has rear disk brakes? Doesn't sound familiar to me...

As for you doing your own front brakes, replacing the pads is not a difficult job. Removing the rotors can be tough, if they are the type help on by the drive axle nut. The key to doing a correct brake job is knowing what to look for that either has caused a problem, or may cause 1 in the future... If you really wish to do repairs on your own car, I'd recommend having an experienced mech available to watch and advise...Saftey first!

Strut assemblies can be removed from the car with little troubles.
The real problem is the special compression tool needed to compress the spring before taking the assembly apart...A serious saftey issue here!!!
Honestly, I'd advise on starting out learning basic maintance on your car first..Belts, hoses, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, set timing ect..This will extend the life of your car, give you some very good hands on, and keep you safe as you learn...

My cents...

Old 06-12-03, 05:24 PM
I would be looking for a fluid leak somewhere in the brake system. Park it in a clean spot and pump the brakes hard 20 or 30 times. If you find fluid when you move the car, you are closer to the cause.

BTW the rear brakes should be drum, not disk, at least that is what my 88 is.

As for doing work yourself, you can do a ton of things to save you money. Just read the instructions CAREFULLY before you start to make sure you have all tools and supplies needed. If all else fails, ask more questions.

Old 06-12-03, 05:39 PM
Debbie7282
Visiting Guest
Drum

Sorry guys...you are right....it was the drus that were replaced.

I will try to find out if there is a leak somewhere. Thank you for your help.

Now....how about any information about the power steering system? The car constantly leaks power steering fluid. I have to fill it at least every 2 days or so.

I know that I am going to have to find the leak first but I could use a little guidance on where I should focus my attention. I'm pretty good at following directions and don't mind the process of elimination.

Thanks again for your help.

Deb

P.S. This is the best website I have ever found on the internet!!

Old 06-12-03, 06:06 PM
First, the rear brakes. Have you had to add brake fluid yourself since the brake job was done? If no fluid has been added, and the shop is telling you that they're adjusting them, then either the hardware that holds the rear brakes on is worn out, or they aren't installed properly..(they being the springs, keepers, adjusting wheels ect..) The shop should be able to not only adjust the brakes up properly, they should be able to tell you why they aren't staying adjusted... I surely hope they aren't charging you each trip back??
How often do you using your parking brake? Using it should help keep the rear brakes adjusted properly, after it's been done correctly at the rear wheels.

Power steering leak... Either the pump itself, a hose, or the rack and pinion assembly. The pump, if memory servers, is the top most component that the drive belt goes around. I've not changed one on a honda in a LONG time, they just don't seem to fail..(my experience..other people may have different opinions)
The hoses and the rack and pinion are the more likely culprits..Do you see puddles of fluid under your car, and if so, what side?

Old 06-12-03, 06:12 PM
Debbie7282
Visiting Guest
1987 Honda Accord

I'll let you know what I find out as soon as I get under the thing this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-12-03, 06:30 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Both posters gave you good advice, MsArgent said it 100% and is on the money (not that 89Blazer is wrong either).

Be careful about spending too much money on a carbed Honda of this vintage. The carburetor/repairs to these are tricky (and they DO give problems at this age). Terrible design.

If you're serious about repairs, throw out the Haynes manual and buy the OEM Honda book off Ebay or through one of the online sources. Far superior reference material.

Old 06-13-03, 10:47 PM
Debbie7282
Visiting Guest
1987 Honda Accord

Ok...rear brakes first. I have not had to add break fluid since having the brakes done. The shop has adjusted the breaks 3 times in 3 months. When I went in this last week and told them that the pedal was going to the floor again and barely stopping the car, I was told that it sounded like the master cylinder and that I would have to replace it (they didn't even look at the car).

I went home, got pissed off and went back the next day. I told the guy that I had spent $322.00 and I wanted the brakes adjusted. He said "I'm not sure that adjusting them will make the situation much better if there was a problem with the master cylinder." Without being too rude..I told him that if there was a problem with the master cylinder, he should have told me about it before I spent that much money getting the brakes done.

They did adjust the brakes again and they worked ok for a day or two. Now, the pedal is traveling again but not as bad as before. Occasionally, pumping them seems to improve them for one stop.
I checked the fluid again this evening and it is still full.

Just an FYI...I took the car to have a front end alignment done and was told that in addition to needing some front end work, the brake job was so bad I should go try to get my money back. They wouldn't even do the alignment.

No charge for the 3 adjustments. I do use the parking brake when the car is parked.

Any suggestions where I should start?

Now...the power steering problem... Not only are there puddles under the front left side of the vehicle...at some point the car must have lost ALL of the power steering fluid because there is a line from the corner of my street all the way up my driveway to the point where I park the car. When that happened I used some stop leak stuff and since then it doesn't seem to be leaking as fast as it was. I think I put fluid in about every 3-4 days now.

To trace the leak, can you tell me which parts to check first?

I would like to at least give it a shot myself before giving up and giving in to the big expense of going to a shop as money is tight right now. But.....the more I read....the more confused I am about where to start first.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Deb

Old 06-14-03, 05:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I wouldn't suggest you fix these problems yourself. They are quite involved and both are safety issues. Leave it to a professional. Unfortunately, owning a Honda of this vintage starts to soak you when they get old like this.

Stop Leak simply doesn't work in power steering systems. Hondas also require special fluid, so you may have made it worse by using stop leak. As mentioned, check the hoses, reservoir and such for any problems.

Get the brakes fixed immediately, the vehicle is too dangerous to drive. Do not gamble with brakes.

As for the first shop, if you just told them to fix the brakes, then they did wrong by you, as you still have a dangerous condition. Go back to them and explain that they did a faulty repair.

Old 06-14-03, 04:09 PM
Debbie7282
Visiting Guest
1987 Honda Accord

Thanks for the reply Joe. I appreciate your help.

As far as the stop leak...I used the stuff that says it is on in Hondas. I don't have much faith in those stop leak formulas either.

I think your advise about having a professional work on the car is a GOOD one. In fact, last night I was sitting in the garage looking at the thing....and decided that despite the cost, I had better use my head and do what would be the safest thing.

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I will be back on here in the future with little projects that I feel comfortable tackling myself.

Again, thank you for your time.

Deb

Old 06-15-03, 05:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure, that's sound decision making, I agree.

Again, it seems that the first shop never fixed the brakes correctly as you asked them to do, so I think they owe you a free repair in my belief. That would take care of that.

You'll then have some green to spend on the power steering repairs. As MsArgent stated, the hoses are probably the place to look. You could clean the area, add PS fluid and see if you can locate the leak.