Auto transmission

Old 06-12-03, 11:27 PM
Auto transmission

1994 Australian Ford Falcon, 6 cyl 4 speed auto.

I realise this model wasn't seen in the US, but here goes anyhow.

I admit I have not been very keen on checking the transmission fluid, but I know that several weeks ago it was "approximately" at the full mark when hot and in park.

The other day, at around 30-40 mph, I tried to kick it down a gear to overtake. Not flattening the accelerator, just 3/4 or so. Normally this will result in changing from 4th to 3rd gear. This time, straight down to what seemed to be first! Back went my head, squeal went the rear wheels and thump went the transmission! This happened twice on the way home. When I arrived home, I checked the fluid level as above, and the level is around 1 1/2" ABOVE the full mark.

Anyone any ideas how this can be?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-03, 03:47 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
i'm sure you have always checked the fluid with the car RUNNING and not off, so i won't question that. however, to all of a sudden get that much more fluid in the tranny is agreeably strange........

Old 06-13-03, 05:23 AM
When filling tranny fluid, a hot engine is not the same as a hot tranny . I don't recall exactly, but you have to drive the car for about 30 minutes, thus heating up the tranny fluid, before you can accurately check the tranny fluid.

Keep in mind that an engine will heat up fast because of the internal combustion. A tranny is just a powertrain component and will not get hot by just sitting, nor by driving it for 5 minutes.

Your dipstick reading sounds about right had you mistakenly filled it while the fluid level was cold. You are about a quart over filled

Old 06-13-03, 07:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When was the last time the fluid was CHANGED? That is critical also.

Old 06-15-03, 03:48 PM
I have had the car for around a year. I admit to the best of my knowledge the fluid has NEVER been changed. but how can that suddenly increase the fluid level? Also to the other poster, yes, the engine AND transmission were thouroughly warmed up when I checked it. 30 miles of driving. And yes, the engine was running and in park when I checked it.

My thoughts were that a small fluid gallery in the transmission has become blocked, thereby keeping fluid out of some part of the transmission, thereby making the dipstick reading abnormally high. Does this sound possible?

Old 06-15-03, 04:10 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You might wish to change the fluid and filter as a precaution.

Old 06-15-03, 07:10 PM
"You might wish to change the fluid and filter as a precaution."

OK.........How?

Can I do that or is it a pro job?

Old 06-15-03, 07:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Most trannies dont have a drain plug, so this can be quite messy

Get a manual for your vehicle to guide you