Windshield Wipers

Old 06-13-03, 09:06 AM
Windshield Wipers

I have a 2001 Civic and I recently replace the wipers. Now they are not working they way they should. The leave steaks and seem to skip over certain spots.

I have cleaned the windshield and noticed that the blades have left a mark where they wipe.

What can I do???

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-03, 09:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What brand of blades did you use? I prefer Trico Exact Fit as they work and fit the best. They seem to even be exact copies of, or are the OEM blade.

Old 06-13-03, 09:46 AM
Thanks. What about the marks left by the blades?

Old 06-13-03, 10:35 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
the best thing to use to clean your windshield is "Bon-Ami" non abrasive. be sure to avoid products that claim to make the water bead on your window and NEVER use a wax on the windshield.
new blades should work fine regardless of the brand...some last longer than others. also, periodically take a rag with alcohol and wipe the blades off. wiper blades are one of the most neglected parts on a car. the rubber can last only so long under hot or cold conditions. change is recommended every 6 to 12 months.

Old 06-13-03, 12:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

Have the windshield professionally done by a glass shop. Your insurance company wil likely cover this. You can damage the windshield worse if you don't clean/remove these marks properly.

Old 06-13-03, 12:30 PM
Where can I find this "Bon-Ami"?

Old 06-13-03, 12:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A grocery store. It is sink scrub/cleaner.

Again, you will EASILY ruin your windshield if you do it wrong. This is a new car. Let the insurance company handle it at no charge to you.

Old 06-13-03, 01:25 PM
Try to clean the streaks with rubbing alcohol and make sure you installed the blades correctly. There is nothing wrong with using windshield wax. If you apply it properly it works awesome in the rain.

Old 06-13-03, 06:00 PM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
i recommended bon-ami because of it's non-abrasive properties. it will NOT harm the glass. however, using stuff like rain-x, etc will ruin your blades and cause you more problems. the new rubber blades will love a clean windshield.

Old 06-14-03, 06:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you look in a GM service manual for windshield repair, the PROPER stuff to use to buff out scratches is Cerrum Oxide. Other manufacturers recommend it too.

You can and WILL scratch the windshield and ruin it with ANYTHING abrasive if it's not done properly. There's a special procedure in the GM books I have to buff a windshield and it has PLENTY of cautions .

Old 06-14-03, 06:19 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
i wouldn't recommend anything abrasive on a windshield, however, i think the confusion is the "marks" left by the blades. it wasn't stated if they were merely rubber marks or actual scratches in the glass. if they are actual scratches, then replacement is your best bet. but, rubber marks or stains can be removed with any good cleaner.
sorry about the confusion. some resources are:

http://www.household-helper.com/tips/141.htm

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/car...indshield.html

http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/bonami.html

and lastly..................
http://doityourself.com/auto/qandawindshield.htm

Old 06-14-03, 09:29 AM
If they are scratches thats one thing...if its road scum thats another. Bon Ami has been used for years by GM and others for minor cleaning problems. There are numerous Service bulletins on the subject. Bon ami has been listed in the GM Standard Parts Catalog since the 80's and referred to as "WINDSHIELD CLEANER, Bon-Ami Powder(12 oz Cont.) as Part# 1050011

Here's just one Service Bulletin.

Wiper Blades - Chatter on Windshield

90pontiac22

Bulletin Number: 91-10-8
Reference Number: 031066
Publish Date: 11/90
Subject: CHATTERING WIPER BLADES OR BLADE WIPEABILITY (CLEANING PROCEDURE)

Models

Affected: 1982-1991 ALL MODELS
This bulletin cancels and replaces bulletin 87-10-4 issued 10/86. Please discard bulletin 87-10-4.

Condition:

Chattering and poor wipeability comments may be due to the windshield glass and/or wiper blades becoming contaminated by insect residue, dirt, road grime, car wax etc.

Correction:

1. Clean the windshield glass with GM # 1050011 (Bon Ami) glass cleaner or equivalent.

Important: The glass is clean when rinse water does not "bead-up", but "sheets" across the entire glass surface. Multiple cleanings may be required to remove all contaminants.

2. Clean the wiper blades by using a cloth that has been saturated with full strength washer solution and wipe vigorously. Rinse the blades with water after cleaning.