Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

92 Olds Harmonic Balancer Removal? Help

Visiting Guest

06-14-03, 10:21 AM   #1  
monopoly22
92 Olds Harmonic Balancer Removal? Help

The car is a 92 olds 98 regency with a 3800 tpi engine.
The car would stop firing after it got hot so i replaced coil pack then engine computer , now im trying to replace crank sensor.
My problem is I finally got the big center bolt off but Is it a cover over harmonic balance or is it one piece? Its got three slits in it where i can see bolt holes. The removal kit I bought does not have that size bolt in it. If this is all one piece if so what size bolt and thread size do i need to remove it?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-14-03, 12:34 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Whoa NELLEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Stop!

Stop changing parts. What makes you think the crank sensor is bad? Use autolibrary.org below to guide you.

Visiting Guest

06-14-03, 01:00 PM   #3  
monopoly22
Process of elimination

I already had a new coil pack and that was not the prob ,a bad coil acts like that most of the time .
Something gets hot and then blocks the fire to the coil. It finally stopped firing at all.
Anyway if I could get the balancer off I can check the crank senser to see if its damaged.

06-15-03, 05:49 AM   #4  
The harmonic balancer is a piece deal. Autozone may be able to rent the correct puller for this style balancer. But for checkign it, you should be able to access the connector without taking the balancer off. Just for info, has the serpintine belt on this car shredded recently?

Visiting Guest

06-15-03, 05:50 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Process of Elmination----

NO!!!!! This will cause you to spend more time and effort on this thing that it could EVER be worth. It will also leave your wallet empty with a still broken heap in the driveway.

Follow me. You must CHECK parts before damning them as bad. Also, you must follow diagnostic logic to determine what is causing the no fire. The crank sensor can be checked before replacing it to see if it's within spec or not.

I assume you have some sort of manual to guide you, but if you do not, use autolibrary.org below.

06-15-03, 05:56 AM   #6  
Agree 100% Joe.. It's sure cheaper to check out and replace the 1 bad part than to start repacing stuff.. My wallet isn't that thick either! For me, I've found it quicker in the long run to do the trouble shooting, and a whole lot less headaches to boot..

Search this Thread