Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Off Topic? Kit Cars

06-15-03, 06:09 AM   #1  
Off Topic? Kit Cars

Most likely the wrong forum.. has anyone had any experience with exotic kit cars? AC Cobra's Ford GT's ect..?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-15-03, 12:23 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Nothing really "exotic" about them, frankly. Most use common components from something else.

We worked on a 1975 Bricklin a few times. It was a Ford 351 and had Ford style brakes as I recall. Most mechanical parts were a snap, the parts people recognized them in a jiffy.

06-15-03, 06:06 PM   #3  
I've looked into a couple companies/kits years ago..I was wondering if the kits were better now, versus then.. I've had this urge to build an AC cobra.. Ala Tim Allen.. More power! LOL!
Got my eye on a 460...

Visiting Guest

06-15-03, 07:27 PM   #4  
Joe_F
I think ALL kit cars are hokey as they are put togethers. Not much in the way of quality control or engineering really .

OH

06-15-03, 07:33 PM   #5  
Remember the Bradley GT
Saw a guy once in his drive when I was on a service call and he lived in a small ranch in a low income nieborhood and had a Lambroguini in his drive. Found out it was a fiero kit.

Visiting Guest

06-16-03, 05:53 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Sure. There an "Excalibur" style vehicle in my area. It's a 5.0 1985 Cougar body with flairs. LOL!

06-17-03, 08:12 PM   #7  
A friend of mine is building a kit car. Although I don't visit his garage to see the work in progress, he shows me pictures. I am truely envious. In fact, both he and his dad are each building their own kit cars in the same garage. They have plenty of room. He lives and breaths to work on this kit car and will be finished in a few months. Please don't get me started on all the fine features, details, brakes, ignition, and so on.

However, I would be glad to print off your questions and let him read them for short replies. He is not a internet geek and does not touch type, so he may or may not reply. His kit car has Mustang engine, brakes, etc.

11-13-03, 07:57 AM   #8  
Last night I visited my friends garage to see his kit car (and his dads). I learned a few more things. He plans to race it locally and as he says with a big smile , 'I'm going to run the piss out of it'. It will have a turbo charger and develop 850 hp. That's alot considering the light weight of the car.

The kit includes the body, which you need to finish some assembly work, as well as prime and paint. The kit also includes the chassis. There is some sheet metal components provided in the kit also, such as the firewall, floorboards, etc. The owner must supply the engine, brakes, tranny, axle, suspension, fuel cell, ignition, radiator and everything else. And I mean everything else. For example, he must buy brake lines and bend them to fit his car. He fabricated his own air intake, and so on. You have complete control over every aspect of the car design. He discarded the standard gas filler neck, in favor of a vented filler neck, so he could do rapid pit stop fill-ups needed for racing. He purchased a variable proportioning valve and mounted it where he could reach it behind the drivers seat, while seated, and turn the knob to adjust it.

He has never made one complaint about the quality of the body and chassis in the kit. He seems very pleased with everything.

His is a Daytona Coupe, with Cobra engine and components. I think the kit alone was $10,000. The quality of the completely car depends upon the money and components you add to transform the body and chassis into a car. I would make a guess that this could easily cost you another $10k. I surmise the car would be easily be worth over twice the money you put in it.

Only an experienced hard core car enthusiasts would take on such a project. He has been working on his kit car for 6 to 9 months, while he works a full time job. He has reached the point where he has started the engine, but there is no exhaust system installed yet. The body is mostly assembled in another part of his garage and has just been given its first coat of primer.

All in all, I envy him. He is a lucky man to have a wife and family that supports his hobby.

Visiting Guest

11-13-03, 08:12 AM   #9  
rocketir
Kit cars have come a long way. Most are not just "rebodies". Here is a company I have looked into that produces an AC Cobra replica. www.factoryfive.com
Nice kit. Comes with a complete tube frame, and fiberglass body.
Here is a friends car that she built, cost her close to 100K though.
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/...w.cfm?num=3662

11-13-03, 08:58 AM   #10  
Thanks for posting the pics rocket. They help bring home the point that kit cars are high end hobbies and high end automobiles. I can only imagine the sense of pride the owner of one these must have. And to be able to say that you built it yourself,,,sends chills down my spine.

I think the link you provided looks exactly like the car my friend is building. http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffr.../coupekit.html

That link is to the picture of it, thanks to your link.

Search this Thread