Loss of power & mpg

Old 06-16-03, 02:10 AM
john1001
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Loss of power & mpg

I have a 1993 Chevy S-10 Blazer, High Output V-6, with 165,000 miles. Have had the Blazer for 18 months, putting on 13,000 miles. Upon starting the engine there is a small puff of smoke that has not changed or increased in size since I purchased the vehicle. The vehicle seems tight and shifts smoothly.
Problem:
Last year I was getting 21 mpg on the highway.
This year Iím getting about 17 mpg on the highway. There seems to be a loss of power after the engine reaches normal operating temperature. If I recall from last year vs. now it seems at highway speeds the rpmís are higher at 2000 rpm (now) vs. 1800 rpm (last year). I have done what should be done, new air & gas filters, new plugs, the wires are in good shape and my mechanic says the coil is okay. The vehicle starts okay, does not ping or diesel.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-03, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
Stick or automatic?

Tranny could be slipping.

Old 06-16-03, 05:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What color is the puff of smoke? Is it fuel (rich) or oil (bad valve stem seals)?

Vortec engines like that must have PERFECT fuel pressure or they will load up and run like crap.

Check the EGR valve, fuel pressure and have the codes ran in the computer. Bring it to someone competent who will go through it soup to nuts.

Old 06-16-03, 07:26 AM
john1001
Visiting Guest
Sorry should have said it's an automatic. But I don't think its the tranny - the engine just doesn't seem to have a quick pick-up/response after the engine is hot.