over heating engine

Old 06-15-03, 06:22 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
over heating engine

1996 monte carlo wih 3.1 L v6 , water pump went out and over heated , blew head gasket on number 2 cyl , did compression check on all cyl and all were 120 lb.and higher except number 2 cyl , tore down engine and number 2 cyl had a defective gasket around cyl ring seal ,and didnt see any cracks on head or block , replaced gasket and new themostat and fired it up and runs great , but still over heats , changed radiator cap , didnt change anything , what is going on now is well it is running it is pushing antifreeze into over flow resavor and bubbleling in resavor to , but i check temp in resavor and it was ownly 110 degrees , and radiator was 180 degrees , just when we drive it down the road , it starts it heating up prosess , could it be when it got heated the first time it broke junk lose in the engine and plugged radiator , and heater core , cause there is no heat from the heater even when engine is heated ,3 days into this repair and same problem as befor we tore it down , but engine is running great , befor it was leaking coolant into cyl and running ruff , what along post, sorry for the lenght but wanted to get it all there so someone out there maybe could give me a idea , thanks so much if you respone in advance , almost

Old 06-15-03, 07:05 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you changed the thermostat?

Old 06-15-03, 07:26 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
over heated engine

sorrry joe yes i changed the themostat and when hot both inlet and outlet hoses on radiator are same temp ??????? i,m still batting this around in head , just new when we got it done it would run fine and had problem fixed , so wrong i was , dam tired and still got problems

Old 06-15-03, 07:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could have a defective one, try a GM part to be sure.

Old 06-15-03, 08:02 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Since water is being sent to the reservoir, myself, I would have the system pressure tested. If you can rent one of the pressure tools you could probably pump the system up and check it yourself. The zone probably has one of these. Remove cap(cold) and install the adapter where the rad cap goes and follow instructions.

Old 06-15-03, 08:06 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
over heated engine

yes was going to do this tomarrow and see if i got a internal leak , but darn it runs great and the resavor water isnt hot , no steam coming out tail pipe , bubble in resavoir from engine are not that hot

Old 06-15-03, 10:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Did you get the head checked before re-installing it? Cracks are not always visible, and warpage is almost never visible to the naked eye. The air bubbles is what is making me wonder about that.

Not sure if this engine has an air-bleeder valve, but probably. If so, did you bleed the air out of the block?

Old 06-16-03, 03:24 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am with cheese

I am with cheese,head should have been inspected with dye penetrent inspection.cracks might be very tight and only open up when head is heated.also head should have been brought to a machine shop and checked for warpage.

Old 06-16-03, 03:53 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
make sure your electric fan is operational, and, as stated, make sure you have a good radiator cap, as well as ALL air bled from the system. start with the basics. check the oil for discoloring, pull the plug on the cylinder that was bad and visual check that. be sure timing is correct and be sure the thermostat was placed right.
you said it "bubbles" into the resevoir at 180 degrees? that tells me your radiator cap isn't functioning right. should hold (i think) 15lbs of pressure.. normal operating temps are over 200..fan kicks on at approximately 205(?)

Old 06-16-03, 05:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Correct, I agree.

Old 06-16-03, 01:46 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
over heated engine

thanks for all the info , took it up and had the radiator pressure tested this morning and engine is a junker , so time for a different engine , i new this when i posted , but was holding out for help from some buddy , found that hole in head gasket and didnt see any cracks so threw it back together , we live so far from any place that could do a head test on this motor , i just didnt take the time , what i have heard is these new heads have to have a special check done on them , the old way of checking these things in a tank with air has gone , so the quick fix didnt work and 3 days of hard labor behind me , i will have the different engine installed up town where i live and let my back heal from all the bending , lol thanks for all the help and i will keep watch and add replys where i can on other posts and learn as i do it from all of you , almost out and gone to take nap

Old 06-16-03, 04:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Aye, should have asked us first . We could have saved you some time, labor and aggravation!

Old 06-16-03, 08:41 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
junk over heated engine

yupper joe ya hit the nai on the head there , ya could all have saved me some time , this was my sons car and wanted to get it fixed fast so he could get his butt to work and not borrow my van to make the run to baycity from hale mi. , the poor kid , everything he touches turns to junk here lately and had some bad vibes my van would follow the way his car did if i didnt get this car of his running , so i made a big screew up and didnt take my time and think this thing thru like my dad tought me too , lol well all is'nt lost , i get to lend him the money to get this car fixed , better to help them while i,m alive then wait tell i'm 6 ft. under , at least i can see where my money went to , thanks for all the help and i'm sure i'll be in other spots thru this walk in life , and will turn the dam computer on and ask fist and jump later

Old 06-17-03, 03:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Almost:

It goes back to my "The Basics" post where I talk about this.

1) Always have an alternate means of transportation. Chances are you can't finish it in a night or two and it winds up costing you double labor.

2) If you work when you are tired, you make mistakes and have bad judgement. Not to mention you take shortcuts and injure yourself.

3) Working in a rush also causes you to spend more money in the long haul.

4) Must always have another car or transportaton option as mentioned in #1. For me, I can take the bus, train, ferry to work (1 3/4 ride each way!) but it beats staying up till 3 a.m. and being bleary eyed at work because I was rushing to get something done! I also have two everyday cars so if one doesn't start, I jump in the other ready to go.

Enough of that . You know what has to be done here . Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: