Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fan Clutches: Thermal vs. Non-Thermal

Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 10:24 AM   #1  
shiney78
Fan Clutches: Thermal vs. Non-Thermal

Does anyone know the difference between THERMAL and NON-THERMAL fan clutches?

I have a '85 Dodge Truck (4x4) and had to replace my fan clutch this past weekend. The thermal clutch was reccommended to me by the auto parts store, but it cost $14 more than the non-thermal kind ($42 vs. $28).

No one I've asked seems to know the difference or that there even was two different kinds to choose from.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 10:56 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Always use what came on the vehicle orignally/what the OEM recommends.

Thermal fan clutches are recommended for most applications. They have a thermostatic element which turns them on/off as needed. This saves fuel and prevents a roaring noise from the fan clutch from being on when it's not needed . A fan clutch will actuate under load/requirements and shut off when it's not needed.

The parts store did the right thing. A thermal fan clutch is far superior to a non-thermal one when originally equipped.

$14 is spit in the bucket. I don't have and never did sweat prices like that. I always put what came on the vehicle originally or better, price is never an issue with me .

Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 10:57 AM   #3  
Joe_F

Thermal fan clutches are recommended for most applications. They have a thermostatic element which turns them on/off as needed. This saves fuel and prevents a roaring noise from the fan clutch from being on when it's not needed . A fan clutch will actuate under load/requirements and shut off when it's not needed.

The parts store did the right thing. A thermal fan clutch is far superior to a non-thermal one when originally equipped.

$14 is spit in the bucket. I don't and never did sweat prices like that. I always put what came on the vehicle originally or better, price is never an issue with me .

Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 10:57 AM   #4  
Joe_F

$14 is spit in the bucket. I don't and never did sweat prices like that. I always put what came on the vehicle originally or better, price is never an issue with me .

Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 10:54 PM   #5  
knuckles
Non thermal fan clutches are virtually useless at idle & low speed cruise. Offhand, I can't think of any OEM application that ever used a non-thermal fan clutch.

Your original fan clutch is/was a thermal clutch. Note the spring on the front of the OEM part. Replace it with a new thermal fan clutch. Your truck will thank you.

Non thermal fan clutches are strictly RPM sensitive & virtually useless in warm weather climates.

Search this Thread