Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

anti freeze burning

Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 06:09 PM   #1  
Rheitz
anti freeze burning

I have a 94 Ford ranger with a 4.0liter engine. My problem is that I am losing small amounts of antifreeze. My engine pings on all octanes. I know I am burning antifreeze cause I changed the plugs and wires and the plug"s electrodes were burnt off on some. There were two on both sides. I tried block seal and it worked for a short time. My mechanic said that Ford motors are notorious for this and my only solution is to either put another motor in( used or new). Could it be a leaking head gasket? Is replacing a heADGasket a cure or is it a cracked block? I would think if it was a cracked block the plugs would be fouled on the side of the block. Any suggestions on what path I should take will be appreciated. I have 60,000 miles on the engine. thanks-Ron

Sponsored Links

06-17-03, 06:37 PM   #2  
i would suggest changing the head gaskets and taking cylinder heads to a machine shop to check for cracks and to be machined if warped. you may end up with the same problem putting a used engine in it.

Visiting Guest

06-17-03, 09:15 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Original poster:

Your mechanic can easily check for a blown gasket by using either a coolant or exhaust gas analyzer. That will tell you.

06-17-03, 10:51 PM   #4  
Replace head gaskets and stop hot rodding the engine which will contribute to blown head gaskets.

What is 'block-seal' ? I hope it is not a 'stop-leak' product. If so, give it up. Sorry for asking, but how old is the driver of this truck?

Visiting Guest

06-18-03, 06:49 PM   #5  
Rheitz
anti-freeze burning

Thanks guys for the quick reply. bejay, I like your advise,thanks. Joe, thanks for your reply. Lugnut, I'am 57 and I don't hotrod. I babby my truck but I do use it as a truck. Hauling lumber, Pulling a utility trailer, and hunting etc. The exhaust looks to me like its blowing water at times. On start-up ,it misses at first and then smooths out. But I get bad gas mmileage now. Thanks again and if replacing head gaskets is the way to go,does anyone have an idea of the cost? I won't have the time to attempt it myself.-Ron

06-18-03, 09:11 PM   #6  
"Hauling lumber, Pulling a utility trailer, and hunting etc" You ol' dog you. I envy you. You have a legitimate reason to muscle your truck around while all the time pampering it. It sounds great to me!

Visiting Guest

06-19-03, 03:46 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Rheitz:

Whoa Nelley! STOP!

Don't tear apart the engine until you're sure it's a head gasket. Some vapor/water out of the pipe is normal. If you had a blown gasket, you'd cloud the block with thick white smoke that would smell sweet most times and the coolant level would drop.

You could have timing or other problems here. Have the shop confirm your idea FIRST before doing that work and it's NOT the problem!

Visiting Guest

06-19-03, 08:35 AM   #8  
Rheitz
antifreeze burning

Joe, the coolant level drops and I can smell the antifreeze inside the cab.It's not the heater core. As I mentioned earlier , the plugs that I pulled -the electrodes were gone and they were colored green. -Ron

Search this Thread