Starter for 92 Cavalier

Old 06-17-03, 10:42 PM
Starter for 92 Cavalier

Hi. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the cost might be for a new Starter for a 92 Cavalier (4 cyl.) and how much the labour cost might be?

Also, what would the cost be for a rebuilt one?

I know when I go to a garage (or a place like Can. Tire), they just look it up on-line (the cost of the part, plus the amount of time to do the work). Does anyone know if that site is available to the public online?

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-03, 03:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The best starters are AC Delco. A guesstimate would be $150 installed for an aftermarket (non Delco) one.

Me personally? I'd put a Delco if I didn't rebuild the original myself

No, those programs are not available online. They are paid software packages.

Old 06-18-03, 10:33 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
I would stay away from aftermarket electrical stuff. A few more bucks up front, but go with a reman. delco and be done with it.
I hate doing a job 2 or 3 times. Do it right the first time, else you may be doing it 2 or 3 times. Thats costly.

Old 06-18-03, 01:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Agree 100%

Old 06-18-03, 09:14 PM
Marie..... First thing first. Do you have Automatic tranny or Manual ? The labor directly out of the Chiltons guide for an automatic is 1.6 hours. For a manual it is .7 hours. Most shops will round these figures to the nearest .5 hour so you are looking at 2.0hrs and 1.0hr respectively. Depending on your area that can surpass the very low $150.00 estimate we see in this post. A remanufactured AC Delco starter at Advance Auto is roughly $80.00, plus a $25.00 core if you dont bring in your old starter at the time of purchase. Which is a very good idea as most of the "kids" who work in these places dont know one from the other and dont really care, at least you have a way to match it up and keep from having to come back again.
Hope this helps,
Billy

Old 06-20-03, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the info and suggestions. Very much appreciated!