85 pontiac parisienne

Old 06-17-03, 11:53 PM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
Question 85 pontiac parisienne

i have an '85 parisienne ran well untill tonight... after getting gas it wouldnt start again. I got a jump and drove home while on the way the lights kept getting dimmer and dimmer and then after i shut it off it would not start again im thinking its the alternator or the battery but then im one of those typical females that knows nothing about cars... any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-03, 03:26 AM
Ok young lady

OK here is what I would do first go to radio shack and get yourself a cheap digital multimeter if you do not have one.
Next if Battery is 3 years old or more unless it is an Optima pitch it out and get a new one.
Start your car take your multimeter put it on the DC scale volts and with car running with red wire on positive and black wire on negative your little meter should read 14.5 V. If it is less then 13.2 V your alternator is no good. If that is the case replace with a good Delco replacment.Good luck

Old 06-18-03, 03:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Agree with Michael. Also change the belt if you wind up doing the alternator.

It's time to learn about vehicles ---being in the dark is a sure fire way to get screwed royally .

An 85 Parisienne is about as simple as they get. Nice old boat

Old 06-18-03, 01:18 PM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of your info... i called a friend he knows all about cars.. and im going to sit and watch and learn... trying to help as much as i can... maybe i can get him to teach me all he knows.. wish me luck!! thanks again

Old 06-18-03, 10:23 PM
Lights get dimmer and dimmer while driving. Definately the alternator or your belt broke and you didn't know it.