air bag question

Old 06-18-03, 05:22 AM
grampy
Visiting Guest
Angry air bag question

my daughter-in-law had a accident in her 2001
toyota camry and the air bag(bags) didnt deploy.
front bumper,hood radiator were crushed.
i thought the air bag(s) would deploy if you sneezed. anybody care to share their thoughts on this? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-03, 07:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on the nature of the impact. Not made to deploy in all cases. For instance, if you were rear ended, they would not deploy.

Old 06-18-03, 08:21 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
i'll share mine...in that case they should have deployed. the damage described to the front of the car indicated a severe impact.

Old 06-18-03, 08:51 AM
You cannot comment without inspecting damage to see if they should of deployed.

For example: If you took a high hit over the chassis rails and wiped out the hood, rad, rad support but the rails have no damage, proberly no deployment.

Hit something solid and catch the toehook on the rail and damge the rail the bags blow off.

Basically you have to have rail damge for the bags to go off. The sensors are mounted on the rail.

If the rail sustained damage then the bags should have gone off

Larry

Old 06-18-03, 08:59 AM
grampy
Visiting Guest
air bag question

thanks to all who replied. very enlightening
about the rails. hopefully damage is just sheet
metal and not structural.

Old 06-18-03, 09:33 PM
I don't recall the speed at which an airbag deploys, but it is around 25 mph. You can do all the damage you mentioned without deploying the airbag at 25 mph. Also, keep in mind that at 20 to 25 mph, the actual impact force is the deciding factor. If you hit a massive tree head on or a bridge piller, causing a dead stop, the bags would deploy at, say 20 mph. Many in-town accidents are grazing stops, first hitting a car with a shock absorbing bumper, that itself moves forward with the impact; or running into guard rails and signs that are designed to snap off, and then the car eventually comes to a stop from lack of momentum.

You are not alone. Many low speed accidents generate questions such as yours. But have faith that the airbags do work and do save lives. Had the airbags deployed, it would cost a chunk of mula to have them reinstalled. I trust your daughter in-law did not sustain any serious injury, given that the bags did not deploy. Furthermore, I hope she was wearing her seatbelt, as air bags save lives, but don't prevent bumps and bruises. If so, as I hope, it's a good time to reflect on how thankful one could be.