New battery

Old 06-18-03, 07:35 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
New battery

I just changed out my battery on my Buick 1995 regal...is there anything I need to reset on my computer? It seems to start just fine. Also, when I started the engine, my battery voltage jumped from 13.2 volts to 14.4 volts. Does this mean that my alternator's putting out like it should? The reason that I had to replace my battery, was a dead cell (according to the hydrometer).

Old 06-18-03, 08:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
JA..... You dont have to reset anything. The computer will relearn itself after a drive cycle. The voltage change is due to the good battery v/s your old dead one. You can have the alternator checked, or check it yourself, but if the meter is showing 14.4v then chances are you are ok.
Billy

Old 06-18-03, 10:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The alternator puts out 13.5 volts to 14.5 volts depending on the outside temperature (more or less). Your observations reveal that the both the charging system and the battery are in excellent condition.

Old 06-19-03, 03:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

JA:

I recognize you from over in Mike Merritt's small engine forum as I believe you fix small engines as a hobby (I do as well).

Yes, as the posters have stated, you are OK. One thing I'd mention is to use an AC Delco rebuilt alternator for the repair. There are a lot of aftermarket units their quality varies widely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: