how to remove a car starter...

Old 06-19-03, 09:12 AM
lefty00911
Visiting Guest
Exclamation how to remove a car starter...

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse... the starter died a couple of days ago and I need to remove it to buy the new one. Does anyone know how to remove a car starter or a web site that would tell me?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-03, 09:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try autolibrary.org below.

Old 06-19-03, 10:57 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
before jumping off the deep end, check starter relay and connections pertaining to same. Seems bosch is the recommended starter replacement, not fer sure. These are not that difficult to R&R, if you have right tools and any mech ability at all. + patience.

Old 06-20-03, 06:44 PM
Visiting Guest
if my memory serves me correctly, these can be a little tight to get to, if it's a 2.0L dohc, there should be two 14mm bolts on the trans side and the starter is below the intake manifold, i would double check the battery connections first, then see if 12volts is reaching the little wire on the starter while someone else turns the key, then check the big wire (for 12 volts), it should be always there, if it goes away when someone else turns the key, it's not a starter problem

side note... if it is a 2.0L(mitsubishi engine--gray valve cover), absolutely positively know how old your timing belt is, i've never seen so much engine damage as this particular engine when a belt jumps or breaks

if it is a chrysler 2.0L(black valve cover) the starter is staring you in the face, under the exhaust manifold right in front, and the starter tests from above apply the same way

it could be either engine, these diamond star (joint effort) cars can have almost anything under the hood