Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

knocking noise

Visiting Guest

06-19-03, 12:25 PM   #1  
jonathan_71730
knocking noise

ok i dont want sent to another site just a opinion plz.thx's in advance,i have a 98 grand prix se and the problem is when i crank it first thing in the morning it makes a loud knocking noise which increases with rpm change but after a few moments of driving it quite;s down considerably "don't think it's a rod " but am i not getting enough oil on top of my valve's because my oil pumps aging or is a valve collapsed>"i duuno" oh and it does'nt burn oil or anything..."thx in advance again"...

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-19-03, 12:43 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Have you had the dealer take a look at it? Have the oil pressure measure with a reliable gauge. Get it in writing that there is nothing wrong.

Mileage? Which engine do you have in this vehicle? How often does it see oil changes?

Visiting Guest

06-19-03, 12:48 PM   #3  
jonathan_71730
knocking

106,000 miles oil pressure shows to be ok but i need a real gauge on it instead of a dummy gauge i guess wifes gone in the car right now but i know its a v-6 and poss a 3.2 liter >dunno but will check thx's

Visiting Guest

06-19-03, 03:06 PM   #4  
Joe_F
You need to have the oil pressure checked with a hand held, not dash gauge. Again, Autozone can rent you one. That will tell you if you have possible internal problem.

Search this Thread