Horn Will Not Blow

Old 06-20-03, 11:47 AM
Horn Will Not Blow

I have a 1995 Ford Windstar Van. While the car was parked with no one home the horn began sounding, on its own, as if the panic/locator button was pressed. It stopped by itself after it sounded for 15 minutes. When I drove the car the next day , the horn would not sound. I pulled out the owners manual and located the main fuse panel and replaced the 15 amp horn fuse which was "blown". Now when I press to sound the horn I get a dull thump from under the hood as is something is attempting to actuate. I looked in the owners manual and found no other relays or fuses, designated for the horn, in the engine compartment fuse panel (the other fuse panel under the hood). When I press the panic button, I still get the cars lights to flash but I get no horn sounding. So here I am. I repaced the only blown fuse designated for the horn and still no sounds. Intuitively, I know something else is tripped or blown but I am stumped. Can anyone offer me any assistance. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-03, 12:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bad horn relay or bad horn. Bring power to the horn, if it sounds, the horn is OK.

Old 06-20-03, 02:57 PM
Thanks Joe. Where would the horn relay be located? The owners manual identifies the fuse for the horn - which I replaced - but it does not identify the horn relay.

Old 06-20-03, 03:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hit autolibrary.org for the location.

Old 06-20-03, 05:28 PM
autolibrary.org doesnt cover that particular vehicle, but the relay for the horn should be under the hood in the fuse/relay box there.
Billy

Old 06-21-03, 04:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Billy is correct.

Yes, autolibrary covers a 1995 Windstar, I was just there .

Old 06-21-03, 11:48 AM
Here's where I am. For whatever reason I could not get access to the autolibrary site, but regardless I found the relay in a box next to where the fuses were under the dash. I swapped the relay with a good one and got the same clicking type noise and therefore concluded that the relay was OK. I then went looking for the horn and found it in the wheel welll - drivers side. To get at it I had to take the tire off and the plastic/rubber shroud covering the well. I found two horns a high and a low. I took the bolt off and disconnected the two leads - one to each horn. I then ran a jumper cable to ground and touched the positive lead of the battery to the horn hot connection. I got thge same dull noise so I am assuming the horn is bad and when the parts houses are open on Monday or a salvage yard I intend to get a replacement and test it before I buy it. The trouble shooting path has got me here and I am hoping that there is not anything else amiss which might cause the horns to short out. I like users of these sites to let us know if the advise they received worked -so I am providing this update. Thanks for the assistance.

Old 06-21-03, 03:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good work. Let us know what your outcome is.