1993 ford taurus 3.8 v-6 drivebelt

Old 06-20-03, 01:47 PM
corey fox
Visiting Guest
1993 ford taurus 3.8 v-6 drivebelt

my girlfriend just got this car and the a/c pulley froze up and broke the belt.she doesnt have enough $ to go get a new a/c.so my question is can i get the belt for the same make and model w/o an a/c and install w/o putting the belt on the a/c?would the a/c pulley still be in the way?she doesnt really need the a/c she just needs to get to work and back.thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-03, 03:31 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, you cannot bypass the A/C compressor.

Old 06-20-03, 06:35 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
If you unplug the compressor wire, will the pulley turn then? Unless it is really locked good, the pulley should turn if compressor is disconnected. Unless however the bearing is frozen.

Old 06-20-03, 07:53 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
These compressors usually take out the pulley bearing when they seize, which means unplugging the compressor won't do any good.

The correct fix is to replace the compressor & other required parts with new parts. NEVER buy a reman compressor for this model Ford. They're junk.

The cheap fix is to have a qualified shop recover any remaining refrigerant from the system. You can then replace the compressor with a junkyard unit. The a/c won't work, but at least you can install the belt & she can drive the car.

Search this Thread