96 Ford Auto Trans.

Old 06-20-03, 02:24 PM
AKADA1
Visiting Guest
96 Ford Auto Trans.

i have a 96 ford taurus and the rpms seems to be running way high when it is shifting. also when at freeway speeds going 65 mph i am running at about 4000 rpms. it feels like it should go into another gear but doesn't. my question is could it be that the tranny has had enough with 130,000 miles? engine? any info or suggestions to maybe diognose this problem would be great...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-03, 02:33 PM
That's what it sounds like,take it to a tranny shop most will at least roadtest it free and advise you on the possibilities.

Old 06-20-03, 03:36 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. This transmission is known for a lot of problems---have a tranny shop go for a ride with you.

Old 06-21-03, 07:41 AM
Group Moderator
If you got 130,000 miles on a Taurus tranny Ford will probably want it for their museum! LOL. As Joe Cool notes they are widely known for premature (and I'm talking less than 50k miles) failure.. My brother's Sable (same animal) went at less than 30k miles.

One of my FAVORITE cars, for business reasons.....

Old 06-21-03, 04:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
LOL. True.

My cousin has this same 1996 Taurus, had less mileage when he bought it as yours, ALREADY had a Ford rebuilt tranny in it before he got it in 1998!

Ford can't seem to get these trannies right. The previous generation of 1986 to 1995 Taurus/Sable models had the same failure problems!