Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1996 Saturn SL2 air conditioning

Visiting Guest

06-20-03, 04:29 PM   #1  
nordlof324
1996 Saturn SL2 air conditioning

I'm recharging my air conditioner and need to know which is the low side AC service port. The sales guy at the auto parts store said it was the first port - higher up than the second. The instructions on the kit say it is generally the larger diameter line, which is below the one he showed me.

HELP!

Sponsored Links

WV

06-20-03, 04:43 PM   #2  
Low side is always the Large diameter line. High side is the small diameter line. Regardless of where they are located.
Billy

Visiting Guest

06-20-03, 04:46 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Billy is correct, but STOP!

A/C work is not DIY work unless you have the proper tools, knowledge and know-how to work on the system.

You can damage the system or hurt yourself if you do it wrong. Post the original problem and type of vehicle. The bottom line is if you have recharge/add refrigerant, you have a leak.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-20-03, 05:02 PM   #4  
billy is correct on r-12 systems... low side fitting is bigger than high side fittting

on the r-134 systems i've seen... low side fittting is smaller than high side

if you're even asking this question, don't touch the system! r134 is much more critical on system charge to work efficiently, you can't just add a can and see if it works,

woops, i just reread it again, billy is right(i read it too fast), the low side (suction )'line' is always the bigger diameter line to the compressor
the high side (discharge)'line' is always a smaller diameter out of the compressor on ALL freon systems

you can really hurt yourself or at least your car if you don't know what you're doing, if somehow you hook it to the high side, the pressure can go to as high as 300psi+ on an overcharged system with the fan not working, do you want that little can exploding in your hand

WV

06-20-03, 05:10 PM   #5  
LOL Mike.....

Good point on the Pressure. If your fan isnt working then you will just puke the charge out anyway. Especially if you overcharge. This type of repair is definately best left to the pros. A/C work is a real headache, especially if you are not well informed.
Billy

Visiting Guest

06-20-03, 06:06 PM   #6  
darrell McCoy
Dont mess with it my friend. If it needs a recharge then it has a leak, you got to have leak repaired, else pitch $ to the wind. More than likely a compressor seal, especially if it is the split type comp.

Search this Thread