Ode to the Pont.

Old 06-21-03, 04:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ode to the Pont.

Folks:

Two of my cars are featured in a Firebird book coming out this year. The book is called "The History of the Firebird" by Veloce Publishing. Thought I would share:
-------
Hi Joe,

I am doing the final proof read for the Firebird book. I have seen the pictures of your TATA and 1980 Turbo T/A in the book (2 of the TATA, front 3/4 + engine shot, 1 of the 4.9 turbo car). Your name has been mentioned under each photo and full details of Standard Motor Products Inc. (website, snail mail address & phone) have been included.
The book is coming out in August (UK), with supply reaching US shops in September 2003.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Veloce is a relatively small car book publisher that covers the quality color / hardcover segment, and I normally get my personal copies from them via sea mail. As I said before I would be happy to mail you a signed copy when I get one but there is still some time to go I am afraid. The last time my book was published I had to actually buy a copy for myself because the copies sent from the publisher took quite some time to arrive. As I said Veloce isn't a big publisher like MBI, Veloce put their funds into producing color car books on makes and models that publishers like MBI and Bentley (pro Chevy) tend to overlook. Veloce also put money into distribution so that Veloce books are readily available in US/UK shops like Borders, B&N for enthusiasts.

Regards Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-03, 06:23 PM
truckdrivinfool
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Way cool Joe!!!!

Finally got some pics of my LeMans on webshots and I guess this is as good a place to post as any. Doubt it will make print anywhere else....lol

Last edited by truckdrivinfool; 06-22-03 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-21-03, 09:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Denies me access to the webpage . Keeping any old Chief on the road is miles ahead and a step in the right direction.

Long live Chief Power . I like "Indian powered" things. I own three Pontiacs and equally as many pieces of small equipment with Tecumseh (another company with an Indian background/logo) engines.

Old 06-22-03, 06:01 AM
Joe I have a Tecumseh lawn mower and a pipe the Indians used to smoke lol Congrats on the book.older american cars deserve to be remembered.Like the 1915 Buick Touring Sedan I got running again for the car show.Shame is it belongs to my boss lol

Old 06-22-03, 06:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Yes, they do. It's great to see an oldie still on the road. I like older vehicles/equipment. My snowblower is a 1965 Craftsman! LOL.

I'm restoring a 1979 Craftsman 5 horse blower for use at my grandfather's property (I do the work there). A neighbor gave it to me after he couldn't get it runnning and deemed it junk. Guess who got it running? . Read all about it in "Joe's New Find" in the small engine forum. One of the moderators there is a good friend of mine and works with me on these projects.

Either Pontiac gets stares, waves and thumbs up when I drive them. Last time I brought in the 79 for inspection, five guys from the neighboring shop flocked over to oogle over it---and I haven't even done the interior yet. LOL.

Good deal on the old Buick! Thanks,

Old 06-22-03, 06:58 AM
truckdrivinfool
Visiting Guest
Oooops......my bad

I think I fixed the link above if not this should be it.

Old 06-22-03, 07:00 AM
On the 1915 the brake shoes are on the outside of the drum,the distributor rotates via a column mounted lever for spark advance the rocker arms and pushrods are exposed(oil can under the hood for lubrication)and it has a hand operated wiper blade. I love this car,not mine but I can play with it

Old 06-22-03, 11:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Davo,

When I was seven in 1978, my parents bought a 1941 Plymouth Deluxe 4 door sedan for $500 with a shed full of spare parts. By 1981, my parents had gotten the car in driveable, respectable condition as a cruiser. In 1988, my dad passed away and we gave the car to my dad's older brother (who is not a car buff as far as fixing them) and he restored it again using the help of a local Ford antique man who wanted to do something different. The car was very nice again!

My cousin got it from my uncle, and eventually sold it so it's now out of our family .

In 1988 when my uncle sent two men to get the car, the brakes stuck over the winter. What my uncle didn't tell us was that the two men who came with the truck to take the car were cowboy ranchers! LOL. They said, "We're going to strap that puppy down and haul her out!!!" Ten gallon hats, boots, and all, these guys were very out of place here in the NYC suburbs, but what helluva nice guys they were.

My grandfather was storing the car for us and they got a kick out of this 80 year old guy directing them as to what should be done. They shared a beer and a story or two and the men were on their way! LOL

Truck: That is a nice Pont. Good luck with it. Any Pont. saved is OK by me. Good job on keeping it Chief Powered . The best way, the only way .

Old 06-22-03, 08:54 PM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
Hey guys, since we're discussing classics........ I'm restoring my 64 belair. It's a real beauty under all that rust. If I can figure out how I'll get some pictures on here sometime. Joe has already helped me witht he carb. I love my old car, there is nothing more satisfying than firing up a powerful engine and listenin to it rumble. ANyways, just thought I'd add my 2 cents and brag a little. Thx for all ur help guys

Old 06-23-03, 04:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Sure.

Old 06-23-03, 08:34 AM
truckdrivinfool
Visiting Guest
Joe I know what you mean by keeping it Pont. powered. I have seen two that have been switched to small block 350's and even one that was switched to an Olds 350. All were LeMans or Tempests. The Chevy I can understand to be cheaper but the Olds swap baffeled me. I guess it musta been on hand, kinda like when I decided that since both my 72 LeSaber with a bad tranny and a 79 regal I bought with a blown motor were both Buicks that I'd do a simple motor swap. A month later I had a Buick regal w/ a Buick 350.....lol

Though I still don't understand why not just stick w/ Poncho power in the older Iorn.

btw: The Reagal would run w/ the new 5.0 Mustangs despite a dead/weak cylinder.

Old 06-23-03, 12:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Because like anything else, Oldsmobile motors can be made to run. Dollar for dollar, Chevy is the cheapest GM horsepower. Pontiac, Olds and Buicks are for the guys that like a challenge .

My coworker runs a 1976 Olds 98 in full street trim with ice cold A/C at the track. That car is a demon. It's also close to 5000 pounds. LOL. All depends on your thinking and your mindset.

Yes, the A/G bodies from 1978 to 1988 can really scoot when you dump a 350 between the fenders. I have seen some fast ones. My friend had a 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Diesel that they swapped for a gas 350. That thing could boogie .

As GM said, Keep your GM vehicle all GM.

Joe says: Keep your Poncho all Chief .

Good luck with your project, and may the Pont. stay alive!