Never have waxed my car -- bad?

Old 06-21-03, 03:20 PM
Never have waxed my car -- bad?

I have a 2002 Honda Accord, metallic dark blue color, which I bought new back in Dec. of 2001. So I've had it for over a year.

Apart from a basic wash every now and then, I've never polished of waxed it. Now, I notice, when the car is sitting in the sun, fine little scratches that deprive the finish of the luster it once had.

I have some Maguires "wax and cleaner" which does not seem to be taking care of the problem. This surface is smooth feeling but the cosmetic imperfections are still there. I have heard that this product, since it has "cleaner" in the product description, will do both the job of restoring the paint to it's original luster and also provide the protection wax gives. I have a feeling I have this ass backwards.

So, my question is, is the problem the fact that real POLISH is not being used here? Have I waited so long that the "cleaner" doesn't take care of the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-03, 03:40 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You might choose to have the car professionally detailed first. Then you can do maintenance upkeep to it to keep it nice.

If there are fine scratches in the paint, they have gone into the clear coat---a job for a body shop to get out for you.

Yes, cars need to be waxed. Easy well to tell--if it's raining or you've washed the car, if the water doesn't bead, the car needs a wax.

I wax my cars at least 4 times a year.

Old 06-21-03, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the response.

1. How much will I pay for this if I have a shop do it?

2. Can I not do it myself? I thought that polish, which I haven't tried yet, would take care of those scratches. I never considered that thay were so serious that I would have to take it to a shop.

Old 06-21-03, 03:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
1) About $100.

2) Chances are if you've tried a few products and it hasn't come out, it's into the clear coat & paint. It's not likely to come out unless a body shop wet sands and reclears the paint.

Old 06-21-03, 03:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
1) Depends on the shop- figure about $100 or so.

2) Chances are if the products you've tried have not gotten it out, it's into the paint and clear coat. Going to take a body shop to wet sand it or reclear the paint.