Where Is The Dwell???

Reply

  #1  
Old 06-22-03, 11:02 AM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Where Is The Dwell???

We have a 1967 Ford Galaxie 500... 390 CID, and we cant find the dwell adjustment window on the distributor. How do you set it on there?

Its ALL original too. Only 70k miles on it. It idles very rough, it maybe beacuse its been sitting for nealy 6 years in a storage shed. We are clearing the cobwebs out. It starts up REAL WELL. The carburator maybe all gummed up, and its on our mind to being replaced/rebuilt. But its haveing trouble idleing steady and smooth. It revs up and down.

I know it has points ignition though.......

Take a look....

 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-22-03, 11:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
DEFINITELY rebuild the carburetor and fuel tank, that fuel has varnished and wasted the works.

Pick up an old Chilton or Motor book and you'll be money ahead on fixing this oldster.
 
  #3  
Old 06-22-03, 11:16 AM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Originally posted by Joe_F
DEFINITELY rebuild the carburetor and fuel tank, that fuel has varnished and wasted the works.

Pick up an old Chilton or Motor book and you'll be money ahead on fixing this oldster.
Ok thanks. Yea our neighbor next door gave us a repair manual. I think thats what we intend to do as well, just clean the WHOLE fuel system out. And sometime when we have the chance, the transmission to be flushed and filtered,and the differntial.
 
  #4  
Old 06-22-03, 11:36 AM
comtnman's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Colorado Springs,Colorado
Posts: 108
Question

I don't remember Fords having a window to set the dwell with, GM
yes Ford no. You will have to set the points to the proper gap with feeler gages then put the cap back on and check it. A remote starter button works really well in this case so you can "bump" the engine to get the points to the top of the lobe on the distributor cam to set them.

I could be wrong on this its been a long time ago that I messed with a Ford distributor.
 
  #5  
Old 06-22-03, 11:43 AM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Originally posted by comtnman
I don't remember Fords having a window to set the dwell with, GM
yes Ford no. You will have to set the points to the proper gap with feeler gages then put the cap back on and check it. A remote starter button works really well in this case so you can "bump" the engine to get the points to the top of the lobe on the distributor cam to set them.

I could be wrong on this its been a long time ago that I messed with a Ford distributor.
Cool! Thanks very much! OH MAN GREAT NEWS!! Dang, I JUST went right back out there to look it over closer,and saw that the vacume line I was holding was split, and so was the other one on the bottom. I plugged both up with my fingers,and MAN, it NOW runs SOOOOOTH as SILK!!! The one im holding goes to that fume-canaster in the front of he car, but we dont know where the one thats pluged up goes to? It cant go to the air breather because it has no hook ups.....



We are still going to do all these things yall mentioned though.
 
  #6  
Old 06-22-03, 11:43 AM
billys68ss's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1,459
I agree with comtnman. I dont think there is a window either. If you dont see one on the cap, then that is likely the case.
Billy
 
  #7  
Old 06-22-03, 12:02 PM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Originally posted by billys68ss
I agree with comtnman. I dont think there is a window either. If you dont see one on the cap, then that is likely the case.
Billy
Yea, we'll just have to manually do it. I have a old dwell gage from my old 73' Buick century, but it takes a special battery to make it operate,and I can't find the battery. I don't think my dad here is going to worry about the dwell for right now, because if yall came out here,and saw how it was ideling BEFORE I did what I did to the vacume lines, you would be very impressed!.

Ill let yall know what else we need. More than likely a few more things.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes