No brake lights

Old 06-22-03, 08:05 PM
Ruth
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No brake lights

I have an 88 Camry that has no brake lights. We replaced the stoplight switch and it worked fine for awhile. Now they aren't working again. The fuse is not burned out, and we are having trouble finding the right circut or relay switch for them. All lights are out, so it is not a bulb. Could it be something in the wireing? Can you help or give some suggestions? We are stumped!

Thanx!

Ruth

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-03, 04:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try adjusting the switch. Take it out again, make sure the connectors didn't fall off and try depressing the switch with your fingers. If it works, the switch is out of adjustment.

Another possibility is the switch you got is bad.

Old 06-23-03, 08:24 PM
Am I missing something? Where did my response go? I posted to this question last night and now its not here. Whats going on with that?

Ruth,

Since my reply got wiped out, I will attempt to reiterate what I said yesterday.

You could have a (or both) tail-light circuits bad. This is not uncommon. Especially if there is a PC board in there. Joes theory is possible, but the stop light switch will not affect your tail-lights or turn signals. Are all of these working properly?
Hope this helps,
Billy

Old 06-23-03, 08:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Billy:

I think only her brake lights are out. I think "All lights" in her post means all brake lights.....but I could be wrong .

Old 06-23-03, 08:41 PM
Hence the question!!!

Old 06-24-03, 05:50 PM
Ruth
Visiting Guest
No brake lights.

Oops! Sorry. Yes I only ment the brake lights. It's not just one brake light out, it's all of them, even the one in the rear window.

Thanx for your help.

Ruth

Old 06-24-03, 06:45 PM
Their is a lamp failure relay in the left side of the trunk. Most likely the brake light portion burnt out.

The relay's job is to sense the current draw to determine if any bulbs are out, if so it lites a warning lamp on the dash.

Pop the relay apart to see if any wires or circuit board inside are burnt. If so, there is a short somewhere in the circuit. Most likely place is the wires on the left side trunk hindge, slowly close the trunk while watching to see if the wires get caught in the hindge.

Larry

Old 06-24-03, 08:49 PM
Ruth
Visiting Guest
Thanx for your help. We will try these and see if we are successful.

Ruth