question about oil

Old 06-23-03, 10:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
question about oil

I know that with conventional oil it is said to change oil every 3000 miles or 3 months (I do that) What I don't understand is why 3 months oil does not have a shelf life.
I am sure there are people out there that don't get 3000 miles before the 3 months is up. What about the guy who drives his car 1 time a week and puts on maybe 500 miles before the 3 months.
If the case is were the oil breaks down due to the normal combustion process would a synthetic oil not be better for someone who does not drive a lot?
I see thousands of people are switching to the new synthetic oils do they know something I dont?I know that turbine engines run on synthetic oils because of the high temps and speeds that the engine runs at.
With the cost of the oils going down I might switch if someone can give me a valid reason to get rid of the old Dinosaur oil.

Old 06-23-03, 12:14 PM
Michael,

I do not really understand the 3 months either. The only explanation I can think of would be an additional reminder for the owner to get it in to change. As far as the difference between Synthetics and conventional Motor oils, there are a few. I am sure there are alot of opinions on these differences. There are alot of people who would say that Synthetics are better, but according to research there are no significant gains by using synthetic oils over Petroleum based oils.
Personally I have never used synthetics in my vehicles. They are rated the same, so I cant see a reason to use them. When I see research stating otherwise I might change my mind, but I doubt it.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 06-23-03, 12:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You answered your question. Water, acid, combustion byproducts foul the oil. That it why it can virtually last forever on the shelf.

As for synthetic versus non, I don't buy it. Waste of money in all but the top end applications. Regular, OEM grade, API spec as per the owner's manual is fine.

I run regular oil in all my cars, and just change it regularly. You can eat inside the engine .

Again, the key is regularity of maintenance, not throwing dollars at the vehicle.

Old 06-23-03, 12:47 PM
M
Thanks guys

Yea will keep on with the 3 thousand mile oil change I really cannot see any benefits from using the synthetic oil as of yet.
I guess I will look into it some more I wonder if any fleets use the stuff like Taxi cabs? I was just wondering because the other forum I go to (Toyota Matrix owners) are jumping up and down saying it is the best thing made next to pizza for there cars.

Old 06-23-03, 02:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Is it good? Yes. Is it worth it? No. That's what you have to ask yourself .

What REAL benefits have these folks attained versus the added outlay of synthetic? Real fleet miles with normal driving proves otherwise .

Old 06-25-03, 07:37 AM
cobaltkiller
Visiting Guest
More oil blab

3000 miles is the generic one size fits all statement for automobiles. I have an Acura Integra, and it says that I can run mine for 7,500 miles before changes, but this is under ideal conditons. Ideal conditions are no rain, always highway driving, no stop and go traffic, fuel that is 100% perfect, etc...basically there is no such thing. I change my oil every 3,000 miles regardless. And use the cheap stuff, too. There is so sense spending that money for synthetics, although they ARE better, its just not worth it. Regular maintenence is. Costs me like 3 bucks for all the oil I need, and 3 dollars for the filter. Over time oil gets contaminated with crap from your engine, because it is a dirty enviroment. Parts are wearing, gummy residue from combustion, heat created, etc. This is pretty apparent when you look at your change schedule for trasmission fluid vs. engine oil. On my car, its 10W-30 or 10W-40, and I can USE the same stuff in the engine. (I use 5W-30 b/c it recommended for a wider range of temperatures) I only need to change my trasmission fluid every 30,000 miles, thats tens times less often. Why? Because my transmission doesn't have gasoline vapour explosions occurring in it 1000's of times a minute. I've never used synthetics, and I still have the same engine after 203,000 miles. It still purrs like a kitten.

Old 06-25-03, 07:56 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
The book says.....

I was reading about this the other day. Today when overlooking oil change procedures in my chilton's manual, it said synthetic oil can actually damage newer and/or older engines. Because it is so thin and it can cause slippage. It also leaks easier. I use the normal stuff cause its cheaper and seems to work just as well. Synthetic oil can up your gas mileage if you do mostly highway driving, but for stop and go traffic the normal stuff is actually better. It's good to change your oil every 3000 miles because that way you know for a fact your engine is happy and lubricated. It can probably stand another 3000 on the oil in it, but it will be sad cause its not fresh clean oil. So make your engine happy that way it'll treat you good. I think the 3 month thing is BS, if you only put on 500 miles in 3 months, wait another 3 and then change the oil.(this is a personal opinion)

Old 06-25-03, 09:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There have been more opinions/questions on oil in this forum than you can shake a stick at .

Bottom line: Follow the OEM's guide for oil changes based on your conditions. That is the best way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: